spark plug troubles

johnyreb

I effed up and stripped a plug ( got impatient stupid i know) Now i know how to fix it and can get it done problem is in order to get it fixed i have to get the pathfinder to a friends house about 15 miles away i have no truck or trailer and can't afford a wrecker and his truck is down right now so my question now is would it hurt it drive the 15 miles to get it fixed

I don't know what damage it might do, but I wouldn't want the drive it 15 miles!

B

Well you don't know if you can trust a tow truck driver. They always wear dirty ball caps, have small hands and smell like cabbage.

I like the suggestion about removing the wire and disconnecting the injector. How many people are riding around with a cylinder missing? Hmm ... maybe 15 miles is a little far.

I'd pay for a taxi for your friend to come to you before I'd drive it 15 miles.

this is a town where most ppl have never even seen a taxi

Well, crap. If the plug is out, I'd try to vacuum out the cylinder (shop vac, duct tape, small-diameter hose, whatever's at hand) in case aluminum shavings from the buggered threads fell in. Not the end of the world if you can't, but the less crap in there the better. This would also be a good thing to do before installing the new plug, as whatever you do to re-thread the hole will probably kick more metal in there.

If you have to drive it, I'd disconnect that cylinder entirely. Unhook the wire from the plug (if it's still in the head) and unhook the injector so you're not wasting gas and torching your catalytic (or spewing raw fuel out the open plug hole, or risking blowing out a stripped plug). I imagine it'll run like crap, so go easy on it. Back roads, low speeds, probably good to keep the revs down as much as possible seeing as how it's limping. If that fifteen miles includes highway, find a different route!e

Good luck getting to the plug hole to tap it. Hopefully someone else who's stripped a head has a good way of doing that. A mechanic did mine so I'm no help there. :shrug:

1 its all back road except for about a mile at most and short of putting it in 4x and tearing through the hay fields no way around it as i live on said

highway (route 66)

2 yes he has done it before,has a shop with a/c, compressed air, and a fridge and if all else fails my dad who has close to 50 years experience under the hood is less than a mile away from there

3 i had planned to disconnected the injector and plug

and finally 4 my father in law had to drive his truck close to 40 miles under the same conditions and didn't do any damage that we or the mechanics or dealership could see so that brings the confidence up but i at the same time i think he got lucky so wanted to get other opinions

Ok i got the new plugs in luckily i was wrong and i only broke the ceramic so a little bit of wrenching with an easy out & I'm good to go

Thanks again guys and it should be pretty smooth sailing from here on out not a lot left to go either atleast till i find a trail/obstacle that gives me an excuse to go bigger

1 its all back road except for about a mile at most and short of putting it in 4x and tearing through the hay fields no way around it as i live on said

highway (route 66)

2 yes he has done it before,has a shop with a/c, compressed air, and a fridge and if all else fails my dad who has close to 50 years experience under the hood is less than a mile away from there

3 i had planned to disconnected the injector and plug

and finally 4 my father in law had to drive his truck close to 40 miles under the same conditions and didn't do any damage that we or the mechanics or dealership could see so that brings the confidence up but i at the same time i think he got lucky so wanted to get other opinions

No one said it couldn't be done, just to avoid it if at all possible. I have personally driven a dunebuggy (aircooled VW 1600cc dual port) damn near from Cabo San Lucas to La Paz (about 100 miles) on 3 cylinders with the 4th having no plug, and then buying a head and replacing it on the side of the highway. That motor didn't have injectors, computers, sensors, etc but I still didn' like it. You have to do what you have to do, just know what that is and minimize it. The recommendation of disconnecting the the injector harness, plug wiring is good regardless.

Ok i got the new plugs in luckily i was wrong and i only broke the ceramic so a little bit of wrenching with an easy out & I'm good to go

That is good to hear, but why did you say you stripped the hole before?

B

My last plug change was with the engine out. it was easy.
The plug change before that the entire intake maniflolds were removed. it was also easy.
the next change will likely be when I am test fitting an m62. it will again be easy...

Damnit the plugs were easy each time but everything else was pretty extensive lol.

That is good to hear, but why did you say you stripped the hole before?

B

i was trying to remove the plug it was very stuborn as i said b4 and i heard a loud metallic popping sound then the plug (or atleast the ceramic part) just kinda spun around freely i assumed the worse.slammed the hood called my truck a few choice names smoked a cigarette and drank a beer to calm down then started making calls to friends with better tools than mine till i found 1 who could help Edited by johnyreb

My friends 93 had what I'm going to assume was 1 original plug...you guessed it, #6.....and it had no electrode at all. Damn near couldn't get it out because I thought it was gonna strip or break, but patience and PB Blaster won in the end.

took six hours and a can of PB Blaster and many choice words to change plugs