Trailer wiring question

dynomax

OK, heres the question.

I have the T type connectors for my trailer wiring harness (4wire flat). Theres a t connecter on each side of the brake/signal/park lights, and the converter box is on the left side.

Bought a used boat/trailer on Friday, and brought it home through the heaviest rain storm I've ever seen, for 2 hours, lights worked great whole time.

Now Today I go to take the boat to get the inspection done on it, brake lights are not working, and on top of that, when I hit the brakes, the left signal indicator is DIMLY lit (and actually comes on dimly, as seen in the paint reflection in the vehicle in front of me is how i noticed it). Brake fuse popped twice.

Now, when the fuse goes, the signals, park lights both work fine, its just on the brake is where the problem seems to be happening.

So I unhooked the left side T connector, problem gone. Reconnected left, disconnected right, problem gone.(the left side in the main side, which i think disconnected the module anyway, so that explains the left i believe.)

Is it common for these T connectors to go bad... but better question... what caused it to go bad, and why so delayed until days later, and hours of driving later? Is it a short in the trailer, or did this module going bad just happen to coincide with me getting a new trailer hooked on?

I don't know trailer wiring, but I'd suspect a ground issue, especially if it has dual filament bulbs. Maybe sitting wet after you drove gave it time to corrode?

Could be. Like I say, it worked fine all the way home, problem was 3 days after.

Problem persists even with trailer unplugged... which leads me to believe the trailer is not "currently" the problem, but not to say it didnt cause the problem.

Other oddity is, I added dielectric grease to the connector... maybe I added too much and it shorted?? which then what is the point of dielectric grease i guess!

Dielectric isn't conductive. The point of it is to insulate and protect the connectors (but it's not so thick that they can't touch and conduct electricity). It's also supposed to cut down on arcing, and it makes the plug come apart more easily when you're done with it. Too much of it would just make a mess, the connection should still work.

So you unplugged the trailer and the truck lights are still acting up? :scratchhead: