Problems with AC lift front coils

I have just run into a problem while trying to assemble my front coils onto my new struts and strut mounts. The strut is the correct part number as is the Monroe top strut mount but yet the mount will not clear the top of the coil. Has anybody run into this problem before?? I am thinking that maybe I was shipped the wrong coils?

I can take pictures to show what I am talking about if necessary.

Any comments or ideas will help

thanks

If you were trying to compress the spring and not being able to clear the top to mount the strut mount? Yes, I did had that problem.

It was simply not long enough spring compressor. My spring compressor was for like sedans' spring not for a big rigs.

I eventually took it to the shop to get them professionally done. Also, since your in the USA the shop might be cheeper in labour too!!

Yeah I am taking it to a buddies garage with more adequate tools tomorrow or Monday I will have updated information and pictures then. Sorry for the delay on info/pictures. Basically the width of the strut mount is not wide enough for the spring if that makes any sense? Could be an error on my side I had to stop and get back to work so I will attempt this again either later tonight or this weekend.

I am not used to the spring/strut assembly as I only have worked on my honda with full bodied coilovers which we all know is super easy. (and safer) haha

Edited by mastersryan

I'm with DVW, I think I know what you're talking about but I'm not certain, pics are needed.

Do not use a regular spring compressor, it probably won't compress the springs far enough & there's a good chance it'll take your head off if it slips or breaks! :ohno01:

edit on this..

front coil was compressed to fit the strut.. minutes later the tension was so much that it stripped the top nut off the strut and stripped the strut threads completely and shot off. Now I am sitting with a lift in the rear only... And am down one brand new KYB strut..

this is a mess...

Wow!! :ohno01:

They definitely sound like the wrong springs, no way that top nut should strip off :thumbsdown: You need to contact the place you bought them from & tell them what happened, they owe you a strut.

edit on this..

front coil was compressed to fit the strut.. minutes later the tension was so much that it stripped the top nut off the strut and stripped the strut threads completely and shot off. Now I am sitting with a lift in the rear only... And am down one brand new KYB strut..

this is a mess...

Holy mother of...(choose your title) Ex-brit is absolutely correct, unless the spring is not the right part and/or the top nut was cross-threaded, it should've held. Do you have photos of the coils, especially compared to your originals? Also, do you have measurements? Can you take measurements? Spring inner/outer diameter, top to bottom measurement, wire thickness...I's sure someone with the A/C springs might be able to throw in some info re: your springs once photos and measurements are up.

Once you are sure the front coils are the correct part, go after those who sold you the strut. If it is the springs that are incorrect, go after A/C.

Hopefully no one is hurt and the spring didn't kill/maim anything important to you. I've heard of springs taking people's legs off...well, not literally but escaping with enough force they shatter bone into hundred's of pieces...dangerous things, compressed springs are.

• Like 1

I got them right from 4x4parts.com

I am getting pictures and everything together and will give them a call in the morning (if not goto the shop since it's 40mins from me).

I also had to wait an additional 2 weeks to get these front coils since they ran out of the front's. So these were freshly made and shipped to me, I am thinking that these have to be the wrong coils. I will be taken all measurements also... BTW does anybody know the measurements of the AC coils so I can compare mine?

Thanks in advance.

so frustrating...

Luckily the spring did't hurt anybody or damage the truck since it was mounted in the wheel well at the time of the burst. I will have measurements and pictures up shortly.

Like I said earlier the front struts were being put together by a reputable shop in the area due to the fact I could not compress the spring myself. Rear's went on without hassle...

I will be leaving work soon to head over to the shop I will then have pics/measurements.

I got them right from 4x4parts.com

I am getting pictures and everything together and will give them a call in the morning (if not goto the shop since it's 40mins from me).

I also had to wait an additional 2 weeks to get these front coils since they ran out of the front's. So these were freshly made and shipped to me, I am thinking that these have to be the wrong coils. I will be taken all measurements also... BTW does anybody know the measurements of the AC coils so I can compare mine?

Thanks in advance.

so frustrating...

LOL that was the fastest answer I've seen anyone type...

Yeah I hit refresh and started typing... I guess I'm just frustrated and now I am taking it out on my work computer.. My co-workers must think I am actually working haha

Yeah 4x4parts.com is located in Pompano Beach, Fl which is a little north of Miami (where I am)

Edited by mastersryan

Ok, far as I can tell on mine the width of the bottom coil is about 7" outside edge to outside edge. It tapers to about 6" at the top, you didn't have them on upside down did you? That still wouldn't explain the stripping of the nut though.

I am just worried about the length.. or the density of the new coils since it was in a new batch from 4x4parts.com

I will get the measurements as soon as I can.

Ouch, that's luck that no one got hurt! I know a guy from another forum who installed ACs on the Monroe struts. Shortly afterwards the strut's lower spring perch broke while driving- created a hole in the fender.

Edited by stioc

Can't really give you the length as mine have settled, but it looks like there are 7 coils including the top & bottom "end" coils that go into the strut mounts & top end mount.

Ok,

Like I have promised here are some pictures. I don't have a picture of the two springs next to each other not compressed but this is what I have.

Here is a picture of the springs next to each other. Clearly inches longer...

photo2_zps9c0ab3f7.jpg

Here is a couple pictures of the stripped strut.

photo3_zps2db4ae32.jpg

photo4_zpsff3e2f2f.jpg

And a picture of how the truck currently sits.

photo1_zps990ccaa4.jpg

I have to agree with shoesandsocks it looks like the strut was cross threaded and with the AC coils putting the enormous pressure on the threads they let go.

Edited by stioc
  • Like 1