95 XE, worth it?

theexbrit

A friend of mine is looking to get a Pathy & he saw a black 1995 XE, manual trans, around 100,000 miles, needs tires. It's going for $2,950, is this a good price? I told him to offer $2,500.

Thanks.

that's about right - it depends on the condition and maintenance history.... if the timing belt and rubber components, & shocks, transmission & differentials haven't been maintained, then expect to pay more than what he paid for the truck to remediate all those things........

• Like 1

Might be a little steep, depending on body condition. My SE was $1600 with a bad tires, a little body damage, dead speed sensor and cruise control, pine needles in every crevice, and a recent t-belt job (that we had to re-do a year or so later). We've put easily that much into it again. If it's clean/nice/recent (proper) belt job, $2500 isn't bad.

• Like 2

As is said, as long as everything else checks out yes, I wouldn't hesitate to pay 3k for it if it is in mint condition. SoCal isn't the cheapest place to buy vehicles (people often forget that the value fluctuates with location), but thats pretty low miles for a 18 year old vehicle (less than 6k a year) and its getting pretty hard to find these low mileage pathys.

I'd run a carfax, if only to see where it lived. Both my Pathys were from back east, but not long enough for there to be any rust, so that is one major consideration. I believe Trogdor has a Pathy that he is considering swapping out due to it haviing rust, and he is up in Redding.

So, if there is no rust and the front end is tight, he will still be out $600+ for tires and the timing belt probably needs to be replaced as well. That is about $300 in parts as well if you replace everything, $600-900 if he pays someone to do it. Ask him what he is willing to spend for it, subtract $1k and offer that, explaining why.

Oh, and I advise bringing a stethescope and a floor jack to listen, lift and learn... ;)

B

• Like 1

Yea, What B said I picked up a 95 pathy for 1500 from my sister in law so I know its history and it had 140,000 miles on it so low milage is a plus.

• Like 1