A/C bearings playing plinko?

AndyC

My A/C compressor wheel bearings are making a knocking noise, the air works great. Is it possible to just rebuild or replace the bearings or does this mean a new compressor? Thanks!

My AC compressor that was making noise in my sentra turned out to be where the clutch magnet (what ever you call it !) bolts to the compressor housing, 4 of the 6 screws were loose, 2 so much it ground the heads flat !

You can take the compressor apart and rebuilt it, not so easy to find the bearings but not impossible. I have a right up some where on how to take it apart, I'll look for it.

found it :

step 6 are the screws that were loose in mine, I had already bought a used one from a junkyard and have it installed now, freezes me out everytime I drive the sentra ! My AC guy tells me all the time how reman compressors suck so I found an original one, still had the R-12 and Nissan sticker on it.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-rebuild-your-a-c-compressor-just-in-time-for-summer-too-t267157.html

Edited by ahardb0dy

Nice write up. Curious though, how much would a new compressor be at the scrapper? I had mine replaced when mine was only four years old. I paid $600 (nine years later, my butt still hurts from that one) so, I'd imagine you could get one pretty cheap. Recharge it yourself with some R-134a refrigerant from one of those changeover kits and be done.

Well down here in Florida they go for about $41, I went thru 3 reman units in my sentra, just as my AC guy told me each one lasted aboout 1 year, except the last one that I bought cheap on E-bay that only went like 4 months !! Hopefully the one I just put in will last a long time !! All I did to it was clean the outside, removed and cleaned the clutch, flushed it with new oil than added the proper amount of new oil, my buddy pulled a vacuum and charged it so far so good.

If you have to replace the compressor may be best to have someone do it, it is against the law to let freon escape into the atmosphere but an AC tech can pull a vacuum on the system first and at least you would know if there were any leaks before adding a bunch of freon just to watch it leak out.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the compressor wheel further. If I do need to replace the compressor I will have it professionally drained and filled. Thanks again.

you should be able to break down the front of the compressor (clutch) with out taking it out of the truck, at least to make sure those screws are not the noise you hear. At least if the screws are loose it will save you on having to have the system evacuated and than re-charged.