1994 Nissan Pathfinder Glove box latch assembly?

rbaum94

My glove box latch broke (latch and lock cylinder) broke (on the latch part) with the little piece that makes it hold the box and the dash together.

I went to my local lkq and got the exact same one by pure stroke of luck! I found one in a maxima that was exactly the same.. only problems.. the latch is brown.. also the cylinders take different keys.. so I want to use the piece from the good latch i found and fix mine..

What I'm getting at is, is there something in the fsm or something about the assembly of the latch so i can figure out how to successfully take it apart without breaking it?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

I might be able to help you. I've had to fix mine twice but I had a different type of break than what your describing. I think I understand your problem, although I'm not sure which piece you mean when you say the latch is brown. I can't remember the details of the locking mechanism if you can supplant one with the other..should be able to. Need pics, of new stuff and the old broken pieces. I might be able to dig into mine tomorrow (Monday) evening and try to get some pics and show you how the whole thing comes apart. Once you start taking screws out, it goes pretty quick and isn't hard to figure out.

Yeah, I figured it out, I just had to carefully slick the plastic piece on the back of the lock cylinder that leads into the mechanism carefully out of its spot and grab the spring before it can bounce around everywhere.

Only now I've encountered a new problem, My glove box opens and closes and locks now, but I kind of have to push in with a little force to open and close the box. Any reason for this?

I'm not sure, it could be just that the little catch tab that presses up and down to latch, un-latch might be sticking, or it may be the way the glove box went back together, something may be binding somewhere as your closing it. I seem to remember there is kind of a weak little frame that the glove box kinda rests in and the two come apart when you take all the screws out...dunno.

I replaced a glovebox latch on my '95 pathy because I had broken the plastic latchbolt, while pushing on the door

too hard when it would not close.

I got a new latch without lock cylinder, the cylinder comes out easily, and I put it into the new latch assembly, before

I reinstalled it.

But when I tried out it out the glove box door was stuck after I closed it. The latch was not locked. I eventually

pried the door open with a large flat screw driver, it needed only a little bit of downward pressure on the top edge and

it opened.

Next I investigated why it was stuck, it appears the fixed hoop that catches the latch when the door is closed must be adjusted just right. I remember there are 3 screws , two of which fix the proper position for the latch to work perfect.

Adjust it just a little bit at a time, you can mark its position with masking tape before you loosen it.

By the way I was also able to fix the broke latch bolt, using crazy glue.

Edited by Canuck

I replaced the latch in my 94 glove box, ( the lock was missing too) with one from a hardbody. Than I took the lock cylinder apart and re-keyed it to match the ignition key, not hard to do. The door and ignition lock cylinders use 8 wafers, can be seen in pic below, 4 are spring loaded up, 4 down:

2qd61c8.jpg

this was my 90 sentra ignition when I took it apart to re-key it, (I re-keyed both vehicles to match the pathfinder ignition key so I would only need one key for either vehicle), basically the same as the pathfinder's locks,

the glove box lock cylinder only uses I think it was 3 wafers since it's not a high security lock.

I fixed it, Completely operational and easy to open/close!

For those of you that don't know and have hard to open boxes, try bending the rectangle metal latch that the box latches onto. I bent mine a little upward and tighten the screws a little and voila! Easy to open and close =]