Salvage yard says that a '97 3.3l is completely different from a '96 3.3l?

Tseeker

Hey!

I figured I'd start a new post since this just came up. I have a 1996 pathfinder 3.3l LE with worn rockers and rocker rods(?) New parts come close enough to the cost of a used engine so I'm trying junkyards to see what I can find. But, there are no '96 engines close enough that aren't past the 200k mile mark! So I called a salvage yard close to me that had a '97 3.3 and they said that the engines are different and won't work. :angry: I had tried researching this out and asked around on different forums including in my old post and I thought they were the same or at least there were only minor changes. But now I guess I need to double check. Right now I need to get it back on the road quickly, so I'm hoping to just swap out the parts and store the engine for a later transplant.

Sorry guys if I'm a getting annoying! I just want to make sure before I get in too deep! You all have been a big help so far :)

As far as I know '96-00 all use the same VG33 engine...after '00 they upgraded to the VQ3.5L.I could be wrong. regardless there are lots of threads detailing swapping the VG33 into older trucks that had a VG30 and also using VG30 cams in the VG33 so things should be mostly interchangeable.

Thanks I looked it up after he said 3.4l, and nada, Guess that's why I'm not ordering from that salvage yard

I'm going to get the 97 engine. Hopefully I won't have to bug you guys again after this! Thanks again :)

Sorry guys if I'm a getting annoying! I just want to make sure before I get in too deep! You all have been a big help so far :)

Look here you annoying $#@! .. they are the same!

I kid! I kid! eyebrows.gif

There are some minor changes that do not affect the engine block like the emissions charcoal canister placement but, like bush and beast have already stated, they are interchangeable.