watch out for bourganvillea thorns !

ahardb0dy

Last Tuesday at work we had to find a meter box at the end of a dead end, the whole area was covered by bushes, one of the guys I was working with said he had uncovered it a few years ago and knew where it was, so I told him to start trimming.

We found it but we had to cut a lot of branches, so he's cutting away with a machete and I'm raking the branches into the street. We can't just leave that debris in the road so I got a pair of leather work gloves from the other guy that was working with me and started breaking and bending the branches to fit into a garbage bag.

The branches had really big thorns on them, some were over an inch long !!

Got done bagging the branches and took the gloves off and noticed my knuckle was bleeding, guess one of the thorns poked me, didn't feel it at all.

cleaned off the blood and we went to lunch, all was fine. about 2, 2 1/2 hours later, I couldn't bend my finger, my knuckle was starting to get warm and sometimes it would throb.

Got home and cleaned it out with peroxide and than later went to bed. Next day got up and whole finger was swollen, so much to where the sides were touching the fingers on each side, the thorn went into the knuckle on my ring finger on my right hand. And now I couldn't straighten the finger, or bend it at all !!! Knuckle was still hot and was itchy.

Told my boss I wanted to go have it checked out and I did, they said it was infected and did 3 x-rays but said there was no foreign debris in my finger, gave me a shot of anti-biotic's in my behind and 3 different pills to take.

Yesterday (Friday) was the first time I could straighten the finger and bend it, swelling all went away, knuckle still hurts slightly.

So watch out for those thorns if your doing yard work !!!!!

• Like 1

The plant is supposed to be non toxic, but could have been anything on the thorns. The Dr. said it had to be something pretty good to cause my finger to not be able to bend in only 2 hours.

I totally agree. Roundup? Give Monsanto a call...

My experience is more along the lines of blackberry vines, rose bushes and feral citrus, but I have gotten stabbed before and had surprising infection/reaction with a side of pain. Best to be avoided!

B