Leaking front steering bushing?

statikuz

Alrighty, I totally don't know what this is but I was installing my new shocks today and found that this is leaking grease... you can kinda see the wet spot in the picture.(the reason its at a weird angle is cuz the truck is jacked up in the picture) Any help?

squishy.jpg

Yeah that would be your outer tie rod end sometimes referred to as TRE's. The ones here are the greasable type meaning that the grease inside can be replaced by injecting new grease into the nipple on top. So the grease you see there may just be from the last time that was done. Check to see if the rubber is all intact as in not torn to get an idea of wether or not you need to replace it.

You should be able to just shoot some more grease in the fitting on top which may squish some of the old stuff out. Not sure about the tear, if its bad and goes into the part, maybe you should replace the it. They're pretty cheap, and 88 and others will tell you weather or not to replace it.

As stated, you can replace it if you like. Otherwise just keep an eye on it and make sure there is some grease in there. I always pump new grease in mine after every run to get the water out so if I tear them I don't worry. I only replace them when the rubber looks really mangled.