Rear Axle Security (proper link)

4doordrift

Hi guys,

So i'll start by saying, when i first got my pathfinder i felt this mild clunk in the drivetrain when releasing the clutch, just as the vehicle starts to move. I always thought it was normal play within the u joints or in the drivetrain somewhere. Today i had a friend drive my path so i could look at it :wub: . I noticed the rear wheel do a little Shimmy when it starts and stops from a light. I thought it was odd, so we checked it out in a parking lot. I look under the car and ask him to pull forward, and as he does that, the whole rear axle pivots forward a bit as in the bottom of the diff housing moves about 3 inches. Immediatly I had the thought of "Ohhh so thats what that clunk has been and maybe thats contributing to my wobble over bumps(al the old bushings are too probably). My next thought was "fskc, i need to fix this asap" it looks like my axle could rip out, theres alot of play. Like this video---> @15 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a8wfF9hba8

I'm relatively new to the whole solid axle thing still. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and what the solution was. Any help would be great!

Thanks

(copied from other thread)

The issue is caused by deteriorated/worn rubber bushings on either or both ends of all 4 links that connect the axle to the chassis, with the upper links (the short ones) being worse. What you're describing is a form of something called "axle wrap" which is a phenomenon normally associated with leaf-spring suspension, but will also happen on multilink coil spring suspension if the suspension components are worn.

The fix is relatively straightforward: replace all 4 links with new ones, which also contain new rubber bushings. Or if you prefer, you can swap out the rubber bushings from your old links and replace them with polyurethane bushings available at 4x4parts.com, but a lot more labor is required to press out the old bushings and press in the new ones.

You can purchase new links at rockauto.com

Search for [Part Number Search]:

551114w020 (rear left lower arm)

551104w020 (rear right lower arm)

551202w100 (upper arm) - you'll need 2 of them.

All parts are about $46 each, so it'll cost ya about $200 in parts to fix this.

• 1 month later...