90 sentra, what would cause fuel gauge to read 1/4 low?

ahardb0dy

Ok, since I bought this car like 8 years ago, the fuel gauge seems like it is always a 1/4 off on the low end ( reading empty on gauge actually has a 1/4 or more left), I finally am going to pull the fuel pump sender unit out to check it today.

I know depending on the float type metal or plastic, no idea what Nissan used back than that if it has a hole in it the weight of the fuel in the float could cause it to sit lower than it actually should.

Of course the float rod could be bent.

What else could cause the gauge to read low?

I'm sure I could clean the contacts where the float makes contact with the sensor part of it.

Thanks

Pulled the fuel pump/sender, was not too bad to get out. Tested the sending unit, full number was slightly higher than what the fsm says it should be, empty ohms was also slightly higher. Cleaned the area the contact touches and put it back in the tank. The one hose was a pain in the butt to get back on !!!!!!!!!!!!! gas was draining out all over even after roving the fuel pump fuse and relieving the pressure, will have to see tomorrow if anything I did made a difference. Would not want to have to do these everyday I can say that!!!!!

I filled it yesterday, most it ever took was pretty empty, 12 gallons, (13.2 tank), and I thought it was actually working, gauge was all the way full, drove to work and than it finally dropped just a hair, was excited thought it was working. Left work, it was at 3/4, than 1/2, than below the "E", than at 1/4 I was like WTF !!, will have to look for a used one or live with it. Nissan wants $193 for the sender mount and rockauto has the whole assembly for about $231

Well looks like I'll be pulling the fuel pump out again this week end, something is def. wrong with the sender, all day today it did not move once from 1/4" below the "E" !!

I bounced the rear of the car up and down, side to side to see if it would effect it, nothing, I popped the rear seat out and checked the connection, wigled the wires, no change gauge didn't move at all.

Have to check the local junkyards to see if they have any sentra's my year may be making a run this week end.

so....why don't you just pull the needle off of the gas gauge and re-calibrate it 1/4 higher, so that it reads correctly?

All this talk of pulling sending units and hoses and spilling gasoline and multimeters and wires and all that goobeldy-gook has given me a headache. My idea would be far simpler, easier, cheaper, and more effective.

psst, *whispering* and nobody will have to know about it

Edited by fast5speed

You should test the output of the sender with a multimeter. It could be the gauge that's actually malfunctioning.

I did last Saturday when I pulled it out, the full and empty numbers were slightly higher than what the FSM says but it was at least working, so I put it back in. I can't afford to replace it right now, than as I said Tuesday morning after I filled the car it seemed like it was working better until the ride home after work.

Moving the pointer on the gauge, never thought of that

Today, I filled the car after work and the gas gauge was reading full, the whole way home it stayed on full, wasn't moving around at all, as I got closer to home I noticed something, the gauge cluster lights were brighter than I have ever seen them, I always have a hard time seeing the odometer and tonight I could see it fine. I'm wondering if the voltage regulator either has a loose connection or it may be on it's way out??

Guess I'll have to pull the gauge cluster AGAIN !! to check it.