New guy, From Canada

ShawnD

Hi guys, I'm Shawn, from Ottawa/Gatineau Area in Canada.

I made a deal with my younger brother, traded my computer ( wasn't using it ) for his 1995 Pathfinder 4 door I believe the model is a E.

Now I get the truck on April the first, he's using it as a beater because he doesn't want to use his camaro during the winter.

I have been reading on the site and I've been getting a lot of mixed information.

I need this truck to pull my Bass boat and I would like to go off road at times, I'm thinking a suspension lift with a body lift?

I would love your advice on this. Of course I would love to be able to keep this as cheap as I can.

This wouldn't be the first time I work on cars and I've done my mechanic's course.( for the most part )

Type of terrain I would like to travel : some mud some hill climbing, nothing extreme.

I want to be able to pull my boat around.

Thanks

Shawn.D

Welcome. I'm from the Ottawa area as well. For towing you'll want to make sure your brakes are in good shape and your hitch is rated for the weight. These trucks can make a pretty decent tow rig once you get it setup right. I would check the rear frame for rust as well. Quite common on these but easily repaired with a welder and some common sense.

There is a plethora of good info here so have a look around for some ideas.

• Like 1

Thanks,

I will definitely tune up the truck when I get it, full parts and fluids. I don't believe its got much rust but I will have a look.

Any suggestions that would help the towing aspect of the truck? Its a dumb question but you guys might know something I don't about these trucks.

If it is an automatic I would install the biggest transmission cooler you can buy, and completely bypass the factory one. If it is a manual, only use GL4 fluid and over fill it as per the TSB found in the garage section.

Make sure your rear suspension is tight, towing with loose bushings and swaybar links can get scary when you hit bumps on the highway. Ask me how I know lol.

Thanks, I will have a look, I already spoke to my brother about working on the truck and he doesn't mind.

Its a automatic, I've seen a few different styles of cooling systems on the forum, I guess its pretty much all custom?

• 1 month later...

i was wondering if anyone could help me with this question, i am looking to put steelies on my pathfinder along with 30x9.5 r 15 tires, i am not looking to do any suspension modifications at the moment, so i am wondering if a 3.75 back spacing would work good with a stock set up and that size of tire??