engine knock, feeling a bit stupid

dynomax

Now, oil changes are something i am pretty faithful with, and common to these pathfinder vq35's, after about 5000k on my oil change it starts to take a bit.. i run mobil 1 synthetic, and push it to 10,000kms... i was a bit over my 10k as I had my wifes car in the garage waiting for a new caliper... and i was a about 10500... the engine developed a slight knocking sound... so i checked the oil thinking the worst, and it was slightly above the low mark... say 1/5 up from low before the high mark.

i topped the oil right up, and it seemed to still do it a bit at cold start, then stop... i quit driving it basically

so i finally got the wifes car out and got the truck in for an oil change, and immediatly the knock went away even on cold starts, and has not even hinted at making this knock ever since, ever at our recent stretch of -20 deg C...

do these pathfinders like fresh oil? not like synethic? did i push the change too far?

friend of mine (mechanic) said it was possible it got a bit low oil pressure, and retarded timing... (no eng or oil light ever came on -- and yes it works at key on)

any explanation on this??? or experience on the same thing?

Guess I got a little scared in to either switching to 5000km changes, or switching back to dino oil... i have also been running 91 octane with no ethanol.

i did put mobil 1 synthetic 520 back in.

Edited by dynomax

What oil filter are you using? Knocking sounds can be caused by certain oil filters.

You're putting 5W-20 in a VQ? Too thin at operating temperature, our engines shear oil quite a bit. Get 5W-30 or 0W-30 in there.

Yes, 10k km = 6213 miles, easily attainable using Mobil 1. There is nothing wrong with your oil change interval. Like I said, oil filter and viscosity (if you're really using 5W-20) are probable causes of your increased noise. It wouldn't hurt to check your power valve screws and apply red threadlocker to them too.

What oil filter are you using? Knocking sounds can be caused by certain oil filters.

You're putting 5W-20 in a VQ? Too thin at operating temperature, our engines shear oil quite a bit. Get 5W-30 or 0W-30 in there.

I am sorry, did two back to back oil changes, 520 is in the honda... i put 530 as specified...

I use WIX filters... they have always been black, but the latest one i got was white, not sure why?

Yes, 10k km = 6213 miles, easily attainable using Mobil 1. There is nothing wrong with your oil change interval. Like I said, oil filter and viscosity (if you're really using 5W-20) are probable causes of your increased noise. It wouldn't hurt to check your power valve screws and apply red threadlocker to them too.

Ok, I am going to check that, I have read the detailed post and pictures on it. Don't get me wrong, I am not getting down on this engine at all... i can see it carrying me well to 250-300,000kms

I am not a fan of wix filters, even though I know they have a great reputation. I used one (napa gold) on my wd21, and for that entire oil change interval the oil pressure took noticably longer to come up and the lifters ticked on nearly every startup. Changed it with another filter (don't remember the brand) and it was fine again. Same oil used both times.

The anti drain back valve design is different across filters. Some are better and some are worse. The BOSCH ones seems to be pretty good.

I searched around a bit for bosch filters, haven't found them yet. I can definatly get the napa gold... do you guys buy them online or what?

I always thought WIX made a good filter though! Anyway, I'm gonna be a little more careful on er, that knock worried me a bit, but man this engine still runs real nice... i am not in love with my pathfinder, but every time I get in it I can't get over how tight, and well built nissans are after driving domestic trucks at work. I have a Honda car same year, and I would say the nissan is as good or better than the honda fit and finish wise and maintenance wise. Nothing like any domestic i've had thats 10 years old.