Stupid question about 3rd brake light bulb

theexbrit

This may seem silly but I thought I'd ask anyway. I have a bulb out on my 3rd brake light (the one at the top of the tailgate), there's 5 in the "pod" 7 1 is out. So, I go to my local auto-parts store & get a replacement bulb, but the new bulb doesn't seem as bright even though it's a 5w the same as the others. Also, the old bulb had "9K" on it, could the old bulbs be 9000k & that makes them seem brighter?

Where do you guys get your 3rd brake light bulbs, from Nissan?

168s are supposed to be a little brighter than 194s (in non-led standard form at least). I don't know the exact difference off hand but have seen it many times over first hand from people putting in whatever "looks the same" (they both have the same connection and housing size/shape) putting a 194 in the middle of a row of 168s is gonna be obvious of the brightness difference, I'm thinking this is what you may have done

Did you get a #168 bulb?

Yeah, I got #168 & 194 just in case, they're both not as bright as the other 4 bulbs. The 168 was the first one I put in & noticed that it wasn't as bright so I got a 194 (before reading nunya's post) & that was dimmer also. Unless the po put some strange unknown bulb in there.

Well I figured it out I think. The 168/194 are "5w" but on the package it said "14.5v", I got another bulb, I think it was 3825 or something, maybe it was the 2825. I'll look tomorrow. Anyway, 2825/3825 was listed as "13.5v" on the package. Well I put the bulb in & hey presto it's as bright as the others!

Unfortunately they are all listed as "5w" so I don't know if they're actually 4.5w, 3.8 or whatever, but what you're saying makes sense unless it was the different volts needed :scratchhead::shrug: