Coil Spring Spacer Option

pathybuilder

I'm putting this in here looking for other peoples input on what they think regarding a coil spring spacer which I've purchased and will be installing.

I'm currently running ARB OME coils which generate 3/4" of lift.

I'm going to install a Daystar 1 1/2" Coil spacer for a Dodge 1500-3500 2WD pick-up.

The Specs on the OME Coil. I would appreciate it if someone could measure a factory coil to confirm that they are roughly the same size.

OD = 5.3"

ID = 4.2"

Length shouldn't matter, but if someone wants I can measure it

The Specs on the 2WD Dodge Coil.

OD = 5.6"

ID = 4.0"

Free Play

I placed both coils into the spacer so I get a somewhat accurate measure of how much free play there is.

The Dodge Coil in Spacer = 1/16"

OME Coil in Spacer = 1/4"

OME Coil in Coil Bucket with rubber isolator = 1/8"

Rubber Isolator on top of spacer in Coil Bucket = 0.0"

The Rubber Isolater fits perfectly to the outside of the coil spacer, making me want to run both. This takes up any free play that previously existed between the coil and the coil bucket, however the free-play between the coil and the coil spacer will still be present (approx. 1/4")

IMGP0132-1.jpg

IMGP0126-1.jpg

IMGP0128-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

No, not yet. I'm still working on my front and real differentials. This will be my next step to install new poly bushings and get everything mounted. I'm hoping to have this together by mid April, but we'll see how things go.

I'm thinking about trying these to get that extra lift in the rear of my pathfinder. Did it give the full advertised 1.5 inches and did you use the daystar dodge 1500 ones mentioned? I'm trying to get the 4.5 inches of suspension lift I need in the rear. This could be the perfect solution to add to my 3" lift springs.

I tried it, works great! My pathy is level now. Installed in about 30 mins

Good to know. Mine should be mounted this weekend. I'm pretty confident it will work. They fit very snug in the coil buckets. Only time will tell how they work on the trail though. I say for $40 - $50, if it works it's pretty good option.

excellent, thanks for the update. where did you guys get yours from? im trying to find a good price on them... im up in canada so it does make it a little more difficult. might see if the local auto place can get them as i get a discount there...

I got mine through Beartrax 4x4 outfitters, locally here in Edmonton. http://www.beartrax4x4.com/

Any 4WD shop should work with Daystar. I would probably check out North Shore Offroad if I were further west like you are. http://www.nsor.com/product-lines.html, but if you get a discount somewhere else, try that for sure.

• 4 months later...

I just did the JGC springs and got only 1 inch lift. I believe my original springs were in great shape though. The spring rate of the JGC springs seems a bit higher. I too like the idea of the spacer. When I get some new UCA's I will do the same. Thanks for the info!

• 6 months later...

I was wondering the same thing, what do you do with the front? I figured 4.5" was beyond what a T-bar crank

and aftermarket UCA's could do??

Thanks,

TXPower

I run 1" balljoint spacers, and energy suspension ultra low profile bump stops in the front suspension with stock UCAs. I also have Ford bronco II front shocks with custom 1/2" shock spacers to prevent top out. The CV Joints are Napa lifetime warranty joints. Torsion bars are cranked for 3.5" lift up front and I still have lots of down travel. I run a 2wd hardbody steering swap which has a lot more travel than stock steering without binding and has proven stronger and an oem steering damper. Use the short steering stops for max steering angle. Rides really nice.

Rear is 5.9L JGC springs with straightened pig tails instead of cut and 3" extended e brake cable mounts, and soon to be 1.5" spacers for 4.5" lift. I like a bit of rake with the nose pointing down just a bit. Nicer to drive and better view angle for wheeling. Nothing crazy but pathys have a slight front rake from the factory anyways. Right now my rear is lower than the front and I don't like that. Will definitely have to buy a panhard drop bracket as well to re center the rear axle.

This setup has held up strong for 2 years of DD and wheeling so far. Cvs are 6 years old and still strong. Running 33x12.5x15 duratracs for rubber. Works for me so far!

Yeah when I did the vg33 swap , I had to pull the torsion anyways so I reindexed them a few splines when I put them back in. I don't mark them, I just eyeball them and make sure about 2-2.5" worth of torsion mount is sticking out when I line them up. They will be the same on both sides so by the time you get to 3" level worth of torsion crank crank the mounts just start to become flush with the torsion crossmember.

I'm just using stock torsion bars, but I don't have much sprung weight up front. Once I build a bumper and mount a winch ill probably get some heavier ones. Stock ones work great for me so far.

Edited by Nefarious

I got them from a lift company on eBay. They make mostly long travel Ifs parts and lifts for big trucks but they make 1" ball joint spacers for 4x4 hardbody (which is the same).

Got em for 55$ shipped to Canada. 1/3 the price 4x4 parts wanted. I haven't had any issues with them after 2 years so far. The kit came with all new hardware and class 10.9 metric fasteners so I'm not worried about them breaking. Can't remember the name of the company, when I get back from classes ill see if its saved in the archives on ebay and let you know.

Am I missing something or have you not heared of Fleurys? In the classifieds plus Canadian and best .

Edited by kdj

yes I do know of Fleurys and we've already spoken. He is in the process (as far as I know) of designing coil spring spacers for the wd21. They are not the same as the R50, so still waiting for news of the WD21 spacers.

• Like 1

well i found those dodge coil spacers on summitracingsports.com for s39.95and 9 dollar shipping... hopefully ill order them tonight and i get my bj spacers this weekend.... nothing like spendiont money on a bluebeauty!! 0307141656a_zpsu4pbihvm.jpg

!!FLEX!!