z31 turbo setup in pathfinder?

edicer2

Hey guys was wondering why this hasnt ben done in a pathfinder yet? Dont the hardbodys and pathfinders share the same engine bay? 2 turbo z's and might have almost another full na2t swap and was wondering if its do able to a pathfinder. It looks like theres plenty of room but i thought i read somewhere there isnt? Any thoughts?

I'd like to see how he did that too, Kingman had to cut the firewall for the intake to clear. He must have moved the motor forward some. The Z has the exhaust crossover behind the motor also that won't fit in the truck. Why didn't he show the turbo in the video also.

James

Well the exhaust is whatever you want to do with it but I can tell you that the Hardbody engine bay clears a Z31 intake better than a Pathfinder's being as the body sits higher and the firewall/tunnel slopes towards the back further down. I did cut the firewall for the plenum but didn't move the engine, 'bout a 9x6 piece and the plenum sits over an inch inside. The crossover tube will not fit unless you seriously smash the firewall in with a BFH, but the heater core/box/lines are right on the backside of the firewall so good luck. Probably the best bet would be to mount the turbo up high and make your own crossover tube that can clear the rear or go around the front. You actually have to mount the turbo up high because the stock Z31 location won't clear the frame.

Edited by Kingman

Maybe. Custom motor mounts, exhaust, extending the rear drive shaft, shortening the front one, custom oil pan to clear the front diff (you will lose capacity), transmission mounts, shifter location, all kinds of stuff seen and unforeseen. That's a lot of work and you'd need a REALLY slim electric fan. I had maybe an inch of clearance between my Villager fan and the water pump pulley.

That's a crap load of work man.

yeah screw it had i figured if it was as easy looking as it was in that d21 i would consider it since i hate how under powered these are but its not even worth it for that much work.

It would be interesting to see how the guy in the vid did it... if the firewall's different enough for it the Z31 engine to drop in, perhaps part of the firewall could be transplanted from a JY HB to a Pathy? That, a fake cowl hood for top end clearance, and a body lift, and the z31 engine wouldn't know the difference, right? Sounds like a fair bit of work but still less than trying to move the engine forwards. Or, yeah, use a stock intake and forget the whole issue. :)

Speaking of that fake cowl hood... seems like you could cut a hole in the hood and mount a real cowl to it, and then mount an intercooler on top of the intake (so it would stick up through the hole into the cowl). It could save a whole lot of tubing vs hanging it out the front while still (probably, I don't know jack about intercoolers) having enough air blowing past it to make it worthwhile. If you custom built the intercooler or had it done you could position the inlets as close to the turbos as possible to further limit the amount of tubing you'd have to work around.

I'm getting all kinds of ideas I can't begin to afford. :lol:

Edited by Slartibartfast