Aftermarket ignition Coils

shoesandsocks

So my 01 r50 just suddenly developed the p1320 code with no other cylinder numbers and i know that this is the part where i spend a few hours annoying replacing all the spark plugs and coil packs and cleaning the maf and yada yada now my think was i took it to the dealer and they said the reason why i have this code is because i have aftermarket coil packs on my engine. i have never heard of such things and i was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem cause looking at how it is each coil pack from the stealership is about 86 for cheapest and a whole set of 6 aftermarket is about 160 if anyone has used aftermarket coil packs can u chime in and let me know if i should get oem or are the aftermarkets fine. Thanks in advance for any helpful responses guys.

Edited by shoesandsocks

• 3 weeks later...

Typically the ECU throws that kind of a code when the expected resistance of the coil is different from what the ECU expects. Maybe one of the connectors going to the coils are dirty or foul?

Yeah, 2001.0 models have more common occurrences of ignition coil problems. VGs have a traditional set up with a distributor, not individual coil packs per spark plug.

More traditional? It's just one step away from being coil on plug. They only put that distributor there to get away with only using one coil. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Ignition coil packs on 2001.0 model years are more prone to issues. If your manufacturing date is 08/00 or earlier you have a 2001.0 Pathfinder. 2001.5 and newer Pathfinders have different coil packs which are apparently less prone to failure.

• 3 months later...

Im dealing with this problem currently.. I have changed the #1 coil and have ordered the #2.. Waiting till payday to order the remaining (4) #3-#6. I am hoping this will prevent the check engine light from returning due to P1320 code. Any thoughts, comments or advice would be much appreciated.

-Thanks. CNAM.

• 2 weeks later...

i took it to the dealer and they said the reason why i have this code is because i have aftermarket coil packs on my engine. i have never heard of such things and i was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem

Yes I have seen this several times. people replace the coils or just one coil and the light does not go off or comes back on after a few days or even runs worse.

They then replace with the real deal and it goes away.

In short aftermarket coils can make the CEL come on.

I will say though that I see this behavior on Maximas more than the others.