Should I purchase an extended warranty?

Guest girlpath

Guest girlpath

I just bought a used SE 4WD with just under 12k miles on it. Woohoo, lucky me! :takebow:

The factory warranty is expired. I'm considering an extended warranty. I like Warranty Direct from the reviews. It looks like I could get a 4yr/60K, $100 deduct for about $960.

I need experienced owners feedback about whether I should spend the money on the warranty, or bank it.

Thanks for your help.

The extended warranty I bought for my 97 (in 2000) wasn't useful at all. All my repairs were not covered: suspension issues, mainly, which is a 'wear and tear' clause, and a clutch. I should've banked it at $1400; the only warranty repair I had done was a cracked exhaust manifold covered under Nissan's 100,000 mile warranty.

Not sure if a 2001 has any specific concerns that the $960 warranty may give you peace of mind for, but in my case it was money wasted and led to a frustrating relationship with the dealer.

My guestimate is your SE will easily roll to 60k miles with little to no major repair service.

m.

Well,

With those low miles I would personally say no. I said no to my warrenty and it almost got me. I have a 2001 and had to replace 3 sensors and the BOSE radio which sucks. It all depends, I did enough yelling that I made Nissan pay for the parts even though I did not have a warrenty.

Long story short - not too much should go wrong. But you never know!

Hope that help a little!

~Jason

Well, I bought a 2002 LE with 44K miles and bought the warranty. The critical thing here is that its a Nissan warranty and generally the manufacturer's warranty is easier to deal with and covers more. Mine has no deductible and covers 6 years and 100K miles. I think I paid around $1,200 for it. I like peace of mind so I bought it since thisis a 4x4. I have not bought one before but I've always owned Honda cars and not needed one. With a 4x4, I figured it would probably pay off in one repair. Since it's a Nissan Pathfinder, I may never have to use it and that's just fine. Now if I were to buy a domestic 4x4 or domestic anything, you bet I would buy the warranty.

Guest girlpath

Thanks for all your replies. I live in northern MD - so it does get cold and hot, but usually not extreme for too long.

I read one of the reviews that says the warranty companies price their warranties a couple hundred $$ over what average repair cost is on that vehicle for that time period. So, statistically, I will actually lose money even if I do have a costly repair within the warranty period.

But you're right -- it is a crapshoot. I wish they sold warranties by the year.

It is a tough one but for me, it was additional insurance. The "average" cost of repair may be $1,000, which is why they price it well over that. HOWEVER, that average may be taken from 20,000 repairs. Some may have been $250 repairs while some may have been $4,000 repairs. The average is kind of a silly number, in my opinion. It's kind of like saying that your chances of being bitten by a mtn lion are 1 in 1,000,000. Well, if you mountain bike and hike in California, your chances have increased a lot. Same thing with sharks and swimming.

I bought it for peace of mind since I'm not good with fixing vehicles and I sure can't afford a $2K repair. But that's just me, I'm a bit paraniod :)

If you do buy one though, go with the Nissan one. Otherwise bank that $$ right now and don't touch it till a real problem occurs.