So. . . it won't start

linewar

Saturday, she stranded me at Taco Bell, replaced the battery, still nothing - not a sound when I turn the key, then I climb under and mess with the starter, and she starts. Then, Monday, same thing at the grocery store. Messed with the starter, and - nothing.

Have been doing some research today, and it seems it could be the security system OR the starter. The key fob I used to have is gone and I have been using the key to open it and the door lock button when exiting.

So, what say you? Security system, or the starter?

Just got home and decided to try it again. Now, I get clicking when I turn the key. The "Security" light on the dash was off until I unlocked it, then it started blinking. That makes me think it's the starter, not the security system. However, I did have some problems in the past with the alarm system - once, my wife locked it with the door button, then when I unlocked it with the key fob, the alarm went off. But I don't think I'd get a clicking like that if it was the security system - I think it wouldn't make any sound at all.

Where do you hear the clicking? Is it from the starter? I dont believe the factory alarm has a starter kill, unless the alarm is activated.

If its from the starter than it most likely needs to be replaced.

The click (hearing it from behind the wheel) is coming from the engine bay; I think it's the solenoid clicking. Time for a starter change.

Anyone ever done one on theirs? Is there a how-to somewhere?

Seems like it was the starter. A buddy came by yesterday and helped me pull out the old one; we brought it to Auto Zone and had it tested. It passed, but sounded kinda weak, so I bought a new one and we installed it. Fired right up.

Here's a concern, though: the starter I replaced was obviously not the original. In fact, it looked as though it couldn't be more than 2 or 3 years old. I do have the leaky valve cover on that side.(driver's side valve cover doesn't look that bad - yet) Other than that oil leaking down onto the starter, could something else be causing it to go through starters?

Starters burn out...just a fact of life.

Do you make short errands? Some people have a habit of starting and shutting off the car frequently (pizza delivery, for example).

P.S. It could have just been a faulty solenoid...these days, there aren't too many starters where you can replace just the solenoid...or they just don't sell the replacement.

I drive mostly around town, but it's not exactly a lot of start-and-stop. I'd say pretty average.

Oh well. Next project is the valve cover gasket and knock sensor relocation. Then timing belt, then save for new front half-shafts, Warn locking hubs, OME lift, and rims - Procomp or Cragar I reckon. I'm also assuming I'll get in there and see some 16 year-old bushings that need to be replaced. . .

Oil will kill a starter. Especially with the horrible VG30 oil filter location. I'd say it not being a nissan starter would be the deal breaker on its life span. There is a reason why parts from autozone and shucks are cheaper than OEM.