Newly replaced tranny.. Had a paper burning smell for the first couple days....

Pathfinder94

Hey guys,

I just recently had my automatic transmission replaced, the first couple of days i smelled this slight burning paper like smell when i would get off the freeway arriving at work, and then when i would warm it up before heading home (13 miles each way). When the tranny was changed the mechanic said he had used some anti seize on some header bolts (I believe) and it my smell till the excess burns off. My issue is that i just is there a distinct smell to a tranny burning up or am i just being paranoid? I hear so much on how easy it is to burn these Pathfinder AT's up and i really cant afford to buy another one any time soon. Any info would be great! Thank you.

Well, generally the trannys don't just fail, the cooler gets clogged and overheats it. Still, few trannys last forever. :shrug:

Any excessive heat felt? Does it drive well, the same regardless of temp or smell?

No you shouldn't smell burning paper but I know when I installed my headers with Permatex Copper and antisieze, the truck smelled for a week+ when it was hot. No problems since with leaks or smell...

B

I had my transmission (auto) out recently, for a rear main seal replacement. And it did smell like burning for quite a while afterwards, I assumed it was all the ATF that dripped all over. We also installed headers at the same time though.

You should install a Magnefine in-line filter (3/8") to prolong the fluid life and catch most future wear material. Or better yet, a spin-on filter kit with a very high efficiency filter. An aux cooler is a must as well.

Edited by Towncivilian

Yeah, I believe it was the excess from some type of sealant. I also had the rear main seal and the oil pan seal replaced when the trans was replaced.

I went out wheeling today, no funky smells or anything. Trans seems to be working fine. I will be adding a additional trans cooler,filter and temp gauge soon.

Thanks guys!