Lokka - the front locker for the R50 from Australia

stioc

Not sure if anyone has any experience with this product or even heard of it (it used to be call Aussie Locker), it's a ratcheting style locker and from the theory of it sounds good especially if you have manual hubs. It's also easy to install unlike the ARB air-locker and at $400 it's less than half the price of the ARB. However it's only available for the front diffs of our Pathys- I guess this could be a positive or a negative, a positive if you already have a locker or LSD in the rear but a negative since the front locker is probably not as effective as the rear due to the weight transfer when you're climbing up a hill but better than the open diff for sure.

Thoughts?

Looks similar to the "Lockright" locker for the rear axle. I've heard good & bad about this type of locker, apparently they work great but are pretty noisy. I guess if you can live with the racket on the tarmac then go for it. I'm thinking about getting these so I'm interested to read how they work for ya Radwaste.

Road ratcheting would be eliminated by manual hubs, go for it!

Yes, that's why I mentioned manual hubs in my first post though I didn't explain it in detail.

But as far as the front locker being more effective than the rear I disagree. 'Traction' (which is what moves the truck) requires forward power AND downward force. While the locker provides the power to the wheel with more downward force (left or right) typically the rear axle will have more downward force (due to weight transfer) and thus more traction so you'll use the power more effectively. Even if the front axle was welded together but if there's not enough downward force it will simply sit there and spin both wheels. Imagine climbing up a 4ft boulder, the weight is on the rear axle, even if the truck was locked in the front it won't have enough traction on the front axle to be able to pull the truck up.

There's a reason why the Land Cruisers and FJs etc come with the rear diff lock option from the factory not the front, IFS or not.

As I said before though front locker is better than having no locker at all and from the cost point of view the Lokka is a good option for the Pathfinders (even better if you have LSD in the rear) and hence my interest in it.

Edited by stioc

Lokka installation is in progress on my rig right now. I am waiting for additional carrier shims from Courtesy Parts to get within the needed spec. I'll let you know how it performs.

Sweet, I didn't think you needed to shim these or do you mean the diff needed shimming anyways because it was out of spec? I know in theory how to setup a diff but after blowing one in my race car (which I thought I'd setup according to the book) I now think it's a black art and voodoo :wacko:

Do you a build-thread of your Pathfinder floating around somewhere, sounds like you've done some cool stuff to it.

That's true, never thought of that. Heck, I'm getting one for the front asap!! :lmao:

Let me know when you're planning to do this, I'm interested too we might even be able to do a group purchase to get better pricing :)

It's been almost a year since I've purchased my locker from 4WD Systems, and prices very well may have changed,but I think the Lokka cost closer to $600 than $400. If you can find it for $400 - jump on it.

Personally, if I could only choose one, I would prefer to be locked in the front. First, it's semi-selectable with manual hubs; so it's not heard on the asphalt around town. Second, it does a good job of protecting your front end when a wheel is off the ground. Prevents it from spinning up and then undergoing loads of stress when it lands. Third, you're almost guaranteed to loose front traction while going up a steep hill (due to downward force, like stioc said), so this will give two of your wheels back when the front actually occasionally does have the combination of downward force + traction. Without, it's all on the rear.

Any increase in off road capability is welcome.

The shims are off the back of the spider gears, and two will be reused when taking the diff apart. When everything is installed, the two locker cams should be between 0.125" and 0.165" apart.

Mine is closer to 0.275" apart, so I've had to order new shims to add to the old shims to make up the difference. Judging by the how-to that was posted earlier, I don't think he required any extra shims. They are not expensive, $5-6, however it is very frustrating to stop in the middle of a project due to inadequate parts; especially when it's already been a year.

In the case of the Lokka style lockers the front makes perfect sense (ratcheting noise etc which is eliminated by the manual hubs under normal driving conditions) that's why they only make them for the front. However, I've edited my previous post and tried to clarify a bit more why I believe the front locker isn't as effective as the rear- if you could only have one locker regardless of the car/type etc.

ARB style locker (selectable) makes perfect sense for the rear and even most 4x4 manufacturers offer only the rear diff lock option because it's that effective.

Just my 2 cents...regardless for our trucks and for cost reasons Lokka is a great option.