Coolant leak.

bushnut

Found a coolant leak from what i think is a temperature censor on the throttle body. it's just under the air intake looks like it might be connected to cold start function? doesn't seem to be leaking much yet, just a few drops, but i think i should deal with this soon. I'll try and get a photo soon. just wondering what that part is called so i can find a new one.

There are coolant lines running into the throttle body to prevent icing of the throttle body in very cold weather and to warm up incoming air to help atomize fuel better. Pull the hoses off and check if the fittings are rusted out. Also check for damage in the hoses themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

so i figured out where the coolant is leaking from. It looks like it is called the "thermo element" for the fast idle cam it only leaks on start up until the engine warms up. it only leaks a few drops but it still concerns me. is this part expensive? and how hard is it to replace?

thanks guys

this is the part that is leaking. top picture pointed at with screwdriver. I think the part # is 16391U at least on the diagram but nobody seams to have it.

• thumb.jpg?1290465674
  • thumb.jpg?1290465675
  • thumb.jpg?1290465678

Edited by bushnut

So I just brought Rusty in to have the timing belt replaced and I figured they could tackle this problem at the same time. they just called me and said that the screws holding it in are too corroded and they risk breaking it then requiring a new throttle body to the tune of $700.00. so I said just leave it. I'll deal with it in the spring.

anybody have a used Throttle body for sale?

Are they saying that they can't remove or drill out a few corroded screws? :doh:

I do appreciate that they didn't want to risk putting your vehicle out of commission but to say a broken screw=$700 part seems pretty lame to me. If it stops raining, I'll go out and take a look at our R50 to see what the big deal is. When the time comes, I'll walk you through dealing with them if it comes to that.

B

thanks I appreciate all the help. the leak is still only occurring on start up at cold temps (but seeing this is Canada and its only November, I've got 4 months of cold starts ahead of me.) I might just keep an eye on it and deal with it in the spring when I can work on it in the street.