Finally thinking about getting a lift..

iPath

My question is, if I don't have the money for both, would it make more sense to get tires/wheels first and then the lift, or get lift first? I would probably just get 31's so fitting wouldn't be dependant upon the lift.

As devonianwalk said. I did my tires first. 31's as well. My lift is next I'm about 3/8 of the way there. I'm buying a new phone soon so that's holding me back. But tires then lift is a good way to go (imo) You need to do some trimming for 31's but how much, depends on the tire.

Check out my build thread in the members rides section. "college kids DD", let's you see how much trimming is needed and how awesome 31's look on any pathfinder! Lol

Hope that helps.

-Kyle

For me, it would depend what kind of tires you have right now and how much tread they have left. If the tires are good tires and they aren't holding you back off road, I'd go lift first. If the tires are just crappy street tires or something, get the 31's and save up for the lift after.

Tires are crappy street tires that were on it when I bought it with pretty good wear. I'll definitely be getting new tires first then, considering a lift with these would look really goofy too. I thought I read somewhere 31's could be fitted on to stock ride height with no problems?

Let's say I have a shop do it, are they going to be hesitant putting on larger than stock tires considering they can't guarantee a fit?

Let's say I have a shop do it, are they going to be hesitant putting on larger than stock tires considering they can't guarantee a fit?

Some places will. Wal Mart made my buddy sign a waiver to put 31's on his 93 XE (because the XE showed it came with 235/75/15) even though he brought it in with 31's already on it. Its a lawsuit happy world, so I'm sure that's what's behind it all.

Tires are crappy street tires that were on it when I bought it with pretty good wear. I'll definitely be getting new tires first then, considering a lift with these would look really goofy too. I thought I read somewhere 31's could be fitted on to stock ride height with no problems?

31's will NOT fit without issues, i had to hack a-lot of my front wheel well to get the wheels to fit, but i think its because i have aftermarket wheels, with a smaller backspace, but i feel like the struts would start interfering if you put 31's on stock wheels with stock backspacing. hmmmm someone chime in here. :shrug:

But check out my thread to see what you need to do to get 31's to fit.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33320-college-kids-dd-1996-se/page__st__20

After you get this all straighten out, you are obligated to post pics, or make a build thread in the members rides section. :D

and as far as having a shop do it, i had my 31's installed at Discount Tire, they fitted them up made sure i could get home safely and they sent me on my way, the only thing i think they do is say, "We have installed tires that are not a direct replacement or Manufacture recommended size on your invoice." Basically a CYA moment by the dealer.

Other than that, go for it! :popcorn:

Well be here if you need us, lol

-Kyle

• Like 1

31's will NOT fit without issues, i had to hack a-lot of my front wheel well to get the wheels to fit, but i think its because i have aftermarket wheels, with a smaller backspace, but i feel like the struts would start interfering if you put 31's on stock wheels with stock backspacing. hmmmm someone chime in here. :shrug: -Kyle

I have 31's x 10.5 on stock wheels & there is about 1/2" clearance between the tire & the strut as the strut moves with the tire that's all you need. I have NO rubbing issues whatsoever with the stock wheels. If you get wheels with more backspacing but no lift, then you may have rubbing issues on the fender as Kyle said.

I had 265/70/16 BFG AT's (30.7x10.43) on my stock suspension and stock wheels, for the first couple months I had a tiny bit of rubbing, then nothing. So, I don't see why 31's wont work.

I have 31's x 10.5 on stock wheels & there is about 1/2" clearance between the tire & the strut as the strut moves with the tire that's all you need. I have NO rubbing issues whatsoever with the stock wheels. If you get wheels with more backspacing but no lift, then you may have rubbing issues on the fender as Kyle said.

Okay that's makes sense. How close is the tire to hitting the strut mount?

-Kyle

I've seen Nitto terrra grapplers mentioned here, how about trail grapplers? Will they wear too quickly if I do a lot of paved driving (DD). I don't put on that many miles in a year, though. Mostly just driving back and forth between campus and work, both short distances.

Scratch that trail grapplers don't appear to be made in smaller sizes. I was quoted 190 for 265 70 16 terra grapplers. ~30.6" I'll probably put on some creager soft 8's too

I thought of getting 31x10.5's, but decided to go with 265/70/15's (29.6x10.43) instead (on stock alloys), and they still rub on the frame at full lock. :shrug:

dscf3156l.jpg

Edited by ltsnotme

Hmmmm, strange. I have the 2" lift so that must give it the clearance from the frame. Maybe if you went with slight negative back space wheels it would clear the frame without hitting the fenders?

Hmmmm, strange. I have the 2" lift so that must give it the clearance from the frame. Maybe if you went with slight negative back space wheels it would clear the frame without hitting the fenders?

Maybe, but for now I plan on installing 5/16" spacers. I think that'll be enough to clear the frame.

What makes it even stranger is that this is the stock tire size for '96 SE's, and I'd thought XE's and SE's were the same, save for the tire size and some other minor options.

Okay that's makes sense. How close is the tire to hitting the strut mount?

-Kyle

The tire is about 1/2" from the bottom spring "saddle" & the wheel is about 1/2" from the bottom strut mount (where it mounts to the hub).

@Itsnotme, it really is strange that you're getting rubbing as 265/70/15's are the stock tire for the SE I believe. I can't see why the XE would be any different.

Edited by theexbrit

Scratch that trail grapplers don't appear to be made in smaller sizes. I was quoted 190 for 265 70 16 terra grapplers. ~30.6" I'll probably put on some creager soft 8's too

I seriously recommend the Goodyear Duratracs, great off road traction, excellent snow and mud use, and they don't howl as bad as you would expect from a knobby off roader. plus THEY LOOK AWESOME.

My buddy has these on his Rango for over a year now, has nothing but positive to say about them, plus from driving his rig, I've wanted those tires from the beginning.

-Kyle

• Like 1

I have 31" Kelly Safari ATR's on mine, $100 a piece at Discount Tires & they've been great so far, they've handled everything I've thrown at them. Used them on sand, rock & mud, run great when aired down (to about 18lbs), nice & quite on the street too. :D I like the look of the Duratracs but they were out of my budget at the time.

Looking at the sizes the Duratecs come in.. If stock size is 255 65 17, will a 245 70 17 fit fine? An online metric calculator says that comes out to be 30.5" diameter.

Well stock converted is 30.1x10/17 (Which is somehow wider than what came on mine, i guess Nissan gave up all the cool stuff on later pathfinders, :wtf: ) and your new dimensions convert to 30.5x9.6/17 which, yes is a little taller, but more narrow over stock.

Honestly if you are going to do wheels and tires, and then a lift, go for the 31 X 10.5 X (What ever Diameter). They fill the wells really nice and get a really aggressive looks with the wider and taller stance.

If your concerned with trimming, you have to do it lifted or stock, (I believe just not as much lifted) Im pushing bigger tires because no one wants to look like this

8110733463_30484590b2_z.jpg

Plus a taller and wider means more clearance and traction for off road and adverse use.

just my :my2cents:

-Kyle

EDIT: After looking what Duratracs comes in for sizes for 17's i see the issue now, so yes, probably getting the 245's would be ideal for 17's, I was under the impression you were getting new tires AND wheels, if you are, get a set of 15's. It opens up for SO MANY more tire options, (friend with an Xterra, is going from 16's to 15's for this reason) plus and a little bit cheaper.

For example:

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

LT245/75R17E1 121Q W

$229.00each

On discount tire (my local pricing)

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

31X10.50R15C1 109Q W

$186.00each

On discount tire (my local pricing again)

Only difference is roughly a 200lb load difference and about half an inch of overall height on the 17's which would cause more problems in the 245/75 spec.

I might need to consider those, my buddy has 60k on his and they still look fine

If you have a discount tire (or Americas tire, i think is another chain under the same ownership) in your area, i highly recommend them.

They price match (SO price match them to Tire Rack.com on duratrac's atleast)

And at my local DT they gave me two, no question replacements at %50 off, just had to ask for a deal.

Plus all of the usual frills of balancing and rotation.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Sorry my stock tire size is 255 65 16 NOT 17. In that case what metric tire size would be optimal to fill up the wheel wells and possibly only cause rubbing at full lockout? I'm nearly 100 percent set on duratracs now. Getting something big enough for a future lift is not really a priority anymore, just something that will fit on stock ride height. In terms of rim sizing what do I need to be concerned with besides obviously matching rim diameter? Do the widths need to match up? Sorry for the borrage of uneducated questions