93 and 95 instrument cluster

Hatchet

i bought 2 pathfinders today a 95 and a 93 pathfinder, the 93 is horribly rotted underneath and the 95 body is mint, so the 93 is a parts truck, i am curious how difficult it would be to change the clusters and dash in the vehicle, i kind of like the older rugged look but i dont mind either dash. any input as to if its plug and go or is a nightmare to switch them out

Just take out the clusters and compare. If they are different I've seen write ups that the wiring colors are still the same, all the way back to the first year Hardbody.

Other than that, the 95 is an electric speedo and the 93 may not be, so you'd have to swap that as well. I'm a new dash fan, can't recall people going from round to square!

• Like 1

"The mechanical speedometers have a speed sensor where the electrical ones use a speed sensor."

Isn't that saying the same thing?

from 7/86 to 7/93 uses a speedometer cable,

from 7/93 and on uses a electronic speed sensor

Edited by ahardb0dy

No. The mechanical speedometers are cable driven. There is a photoelectric diode inside the mechanism where the cable connects which sends the speed to the ECU. The electrical speedometers get their reading directly from the speed sensor that replaces the cable in the transfer case.

OP, first off welcome to NPORA! Feel free to introduce yourself a little more :aok: As for your dash/gauge swap, there will be labor involved. I can't locate at the moment any write ups on them here but if you send a pm to username "unccpathfinder" he put the newer style dash in a square dash truck so he has his hands dirty doing similar. You would be doing the opposite as him so his help would be perfect for you, just do it backwards :lol:

Actually there is much more compatibility between 93 and 95 than 95 with earlier years. From what I saw, this could be a plug and play job!

Good point on the speedometer. The mechanical speedometers have a speed sensor where the electrical ones use a speed sensor.

This is just more proof Tungsten that when you feel the urge to click "post" you would look smarter by hitting the power button on your computer.

• Like 1

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions nunya. Have you actually done any cluster swaps?

It still is plug and play. You just need to put the speed sensor wires into the cluster instead of into the transfer case. I'm pretty sure the voltage range is the same. They used the same ECU from 93 to 95.

The reason why I said there is more compatibility is that the voltage regulator for the clusters on models 93 and up is no longer on top of the cluster. It's most likely in the same place the 95 one is. I think it's in the ECU but check that with the service manual.

The only thing that's actually labor intensive is swapping the inner dashboard skeleton over to the newer vehicle.

i dont have pictures yet, and i the 93 is a lot cleaner then the 95 on the inside im switching interiors since the 95 is nasty inside, no pics yet but i will be bringing them home in a few days. so i will have pictures. but the cluster i was curious about, so i will see i think i might buy a manual to figure it out. i know its going to be some work swapping everything but if it works i want to do it i got both trucks so i have wiring to do what ever. i will look into what i can and see what i can do, i just like the square style better has that look i like. though i will have to pull the dash off of the 95 to fix the climate control since the selector is broken and it is stuck on defrosters

thank you for all the input also and i am sure to be a regular here since i have always liked the trucks, and now i have 2 but the one is for parts since it is so far gone, when i get them home i will show the rot on the one and the 95 has a clean body and frame, i dont think i paid to much for both trucks either at $1650 for the pair i think i made out pretty well. and all the help is greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

thank you for all the input also and i am sure to be a regular here since i have always liked the trucks, and now i have 2 but the one is for parts since it is so far gone, when i get them home i will show the rot on the one and the 95 has a clean body and frame, i dont think i paid to much for both trucks either at $1650 for the pair i think i made out pretty well. and all the help is greatly appreciated.

was wondering if you had done the swap yet and if you had the wiring done! im trying to do my wiring now but going from the 93 dash to the 94 dash! haha if you had a "idea" of the wiring it would REALLY help

• 2 months later...

I never got it done, i kept the 95 dash in the truck, was hurting for a vehicle and that was an option I had, but i am planning a SAS when i get my F1@!*%ty on the road though