gas problem

nick1716

i went to the gas station last nite and i dont have much gas in my car (like a 1/4 tank) so i put 7 bucks in (cuz im poor) and the pump kept turnin off after every like 50 cents (like it does when you tank is full) could it be cuz all the pressure in my tanks got messed up cuz my gas cap wasnt on all the way so it wasnt air tight? cuz my engine light is still on (and it came on after gettin gas last weekend) any help would be appreciated. thanks

You might have a cloged vent tube (not sure where you live, but if you live in cold climate, there could have been humidity that froze up your vent). If your vent tube gets clogged the air won't come out of your tank quick enough and the pump will kick out. Your ECU would probably also pick up on it, due to the fact that as your gas is sucked out of your tank by tour fuel pump it will cause a vacum and your pump will need to work harder to maintain it's pressure.

Check your ECU for a code to find out if it's related to fuel gas venting. These two incidents could be unrelated. I heard that when the service stations pump filter gets older, plugged up, the pump is a lot more touchy as far as clicking off. So it could just be one of those coincidence, your light's on for something else and the pump was just touchy.

Autozone or Advance will do it free.

SES light takes time (cycles) to reset. If it is safe to drive, give it a couple of weeks and two new tanks of gas. Then see if the light is still on. If still on, that means you have something really wrong. Pull codes again.

Nissan ECU/PCM is very sensitive (parameters) so there are a lot of false SESs that go away by itslef.

Keep the gas cap on tight.

:D

My '01 LE experiences that.