smog results and tranny question

p51speed

ok so the smog results good news is I passed WHEW!

smogresults.jpg

By rock_jock11 at 2012-09-14

anyway the bad is I passed by 1 point on the HC at 25mph and by 3 points on the 15 mph test , but my timing was at 9 degrees BTDC so my question here is . IS the high HC from the retarded timing as it was not burning off the fuel?

so my transmission question is this , when I had to drill and retap and replace a broken stud on my exhaust manifold I removed the radiatior, ( I didn't know that tranismission fluid flow through the radiator) so I lost so fluid. I moved the truck today from back yard to front yard forgetting about the fluid loss, the transmission had a hard time going into gear , so I added 1 and 1/4 of ATF and now it will engage all the gears but it now seems like it engages gears while driving at a higher RPM then it did before the fluid loss from removing the radiator. mind you I only drove it from the back yard to the front yard ( about 60 feet)

so my question is did i just not put enough fluid back in ?

the lines went back on just as they were when i pulled them off but im curious about how to check the levels every thing I research says check levels while truck is running , but the owners manual says to check while the engine is cool for at least 30 minutes after driving. which do I do ?

ok so the smog results good news is I passed WHEW!

smogresults.jpg

By rock_jock11 at 2012-09-14

anyway the bad is I passed by 1 point on the HC at 25mph and by 3 points on the 15 mph test , but my timing was at 9 degrees BTDC so my question here is . IS the high HC from the retarded timing as it was not burning off the fuel?

so my transmission question is this , when I had to drill and retap and replace a broken stud on my exhaust manifold I removed the radiatior, ( I didn't know that tranismission fluid flow through the radiator) so I lost so fluid. I moved the truck today from back yard to front yard forgetting about the fluid loss, the transmission had a hard time going into gear , so I added 1 and 1/4 of ATF and now it will engage all the gears but it now seems like it engages gears while driving at a higher RPM then it did before the fluid loss from removing the radiator. mind you I only drove it from the back yard to the front yard ( about 60 feet)

so my question is did i just not put enough fluid back in ?

Yes, the timing should be at 15 BTDC for best results. How much fluid did you spill? If the transmission was not working when you removed the radiator, most of the fluid should still be inside the transmission. There is almost nothing inside the radiator when the engine is off and not turning the transmission. As long as you connected the lines back, you should be fine. Check the dip stick while the engine is running to see how much you need to add.

did just that . check the levels while it was running and It was low. put more fluid in it and added some lucas transmission stuff to it , brought the level back up to where it should be .

You really don't want to mix any additives with ATF. That lucas stuff is mostly just good marketing. The ATF has plenty of detergents in it already and when you put in lucas stuff you are only modifying the original viscosity of the fluid.