squal from 0-25mph

ARThompsonMusic

So folks, I suspected my brakes to be rubbing...but i've done break work and the squal continues. It only happens when I exit the highway after driving about 20 miles or so...Once in the city, the squals stop at 25 mph and its not extremely loud, but loud enough to turn heads the wrong wayway. anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

After making a long trip *carefully* touch each wheel (quick touch at first, just to test if its really hot) then see if you can find a wheel that is hotter, that normally is the brake that is dragging/wheel bearing failing. If that doesn't lead you to the right direction than its best to just to jack the front up to get the front wheels off the ground and test their rolling resistance (Sometimes you will get the noise when spinning the tire to also pinpoint the noise), then pull wheels off and inspect the pads/baking plates. From my experience most noise is from wear indicators telling you its time for a brake job.

I normally touch all of my wheels when on a trip that uses more than a tank of gas, especially trailer wheels!

Sounds like a bad bearing to me. I just went through this a couple days ago and buddy, this is dangerous! Please get that thing fixed ASAP. If that bearing basically disintegrates inside the hub, your wheel could fall off. The guys that fixed the hub bearing on my chevy silverado said the brake calipers and pads were the only thing holding it all together.

Sounds like a bad bearing to me. I just went through this a couple days ago and buddy, this is dangerous! Please get that thing fixed ASAP. If that bearing basically disintegrates inside the hub, your wheel could fall off. The guys that fixed the hub bearing on my chevy silverado said the brake calipers and pads were the only thing holding it all together.

I've changed out tons of those GM truck hub bearings that are "Sealed" units, replace the other side asap as well. It got so bad at work I made a video about it (we were changing these hub bearings after 30-50K miles total)