cv boot replacement

Guest cpaw2112

Guest cpaw2112

1995 4WD

I need to replace the boots and want to avoid taking the axles off. I had a Honda once where you removed the old boot and wrapped a new boot over the axle, glued a seam running from end to end and clamped it at each end without removing the axle. Does anyone know if one like that is available?

Take the axles off.

Its really not that hard and the split one's aren't all that reliable. (So I've heard)

Remove the tire (after supporting on a stand)

Remove the hub assembly and unbolt the axel from the T-case. (12 pt 12 mil metric socket required 3 - 4 bux at Sears)

Unbolt the shock bottom and push aside. Crank the Steering Wheel all the way to the left. Should give you good access to the shaft.

With the shock out of the way you should be able to slide the axle out of the wheel housing.

Then you can replace the boot on a bench where it will be much easier.

That was a quick summary of what I did when I did mine a few months back.

I'm sure someone else will chime in if I missed anything.

Good Luck.

If you can find the replacement split CV boot kits and that's what you really want to do, then go ahead. It's more of a PITA to get the grease in there and you really won't be able to make sure the old dirt and grit-contaminated grease is all cleaned out of the joints, though. Those things aren't supposed to be a permanent fix...