z24 alternator problems

Hi everyone,

It all started when I didnt drive my 88 Pathfinder for 3 days and the battery was flat the next time I went to drive it. After charging the battery I discovered using a multimeter that when the car is off there is 3 amps leaving the battery. I have pinned the problem on the alternator as when it is plugged in the meter shows 3 amps and when unplugged the meter reads almost 0 amps. If I unplug the alterntor every time the car is off and plug it back in again when driving the car the battery gets charged perfectly and doesnt loose charge when left for a few days. So I am guessing there is a problem with the alternator not cutting out when the car is off, or alternatively a problem with the cars wiring to the alternator plug.

Is there a way of checking the wiring of the car or is the alternator more than likely the problem?

If the alternator is the problem are there any alternators that I can buy with a higher amp output over the stock 50 amp one? Possibly from a later model Pathfinder?

90-94 Maxima SOHC alternators are 90A. You'll need to swap the pulley over to your original v-belt from the poly-v, if they even sell you one with a pulley. Then make a little spacer if needed.

Had a quick hunt around on eBay for the maxima alternator, is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Maxima-J30-VG30E-3-0L-Alternator-FREE-Digital-Multi-Meter-Included-/130730448546?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1584134737434454412&_qi=RTM839191

I also found an alternator from a 92 Pathfinder that has a v-type pully that looks like the mounts are the same that is 70 amp. Any ideas if this will fit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALTERNATOR-NISSAN-NAVARA-PATHFINDER-92-00-2-4LTR-PETROL-/130542958461?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1584201068125379263&_qi=RTM839190

Just to clarify that its a 2.4L z24 twin spark Petrol motor that the alternator needs to fit into.

The OP has an 88 which uses the older style alt with the fan on the outside, the only difference besides the amps between the 88 4 cyl. and 88 V6 alternators is the location of the plug.

So any alt that we could swap over will work on his KA, as said already if a SOHC maxima alt is used the pulley would need to be swapped over.

The mounting holes of the alternators are the same between SOHC VG, KA, and NAPS-Z engines. Just get a 90A Maxima alternator and then a late WD21 Pathfinder V-belt pulley at your local wrecker and swap it on. If you can't get a pulley, then cut a piece of a pipe off and make a spacer with that for the older pulley.

Edited by Tungsten