Any way to tighten a "sloppy" shift lever?

'97 Pathy's just done it's first semi-four wheel excursion. Gunsight Pass Road in Crested Butte, about 1/8 mile past the "vehicle not recommended" sign. The trail started getting really rough and sketchy since it's a big scree field with water erosion. Took the opportunely placed turnaround point and came back down... sigh.

But I digress. The Pathy's running great for 170K miles. I'm wondering if there's a bushing or two that commonly causes a manual shift lever to feel a bit sloppy. I can run the gears just fine, but the lever has some lateral movement even when in gear and once or twice, I'd put it into 4th instead of 2nd. I did run a search but didn't come up with anything. Anyone else run into this? Any (relatively) easy fixes?

Thanks,

Al

I know on Toyota they have a plastic bushing above and below the shifter ball (pivot) according to the FSM it looks like the Nissan uses the same type of bushings, here are 2 pics of the parts from Nissan Fast, you can ask Rob in the "Genuine Nissan Parts" thread:

the parts in red:

2njecup.jpg

2j5nazc.jpg

Somewhat unrelated, but my auto trans gear selector lever has some play. I tried correcting this by adjusting the shift linkage, but this made things too tight and moving the lever felt odd. I was not able to set it exactly back to the factory setting. I think it's best to leave it be.

I've had to replace the bushings ahardbOdy is pointing out to you before, it sucks when it goesfrom that bad point you at to worse and the ball at the end of the shifter completly disengages so

If it's not falling out, leave it alone.

Is a horrible suggestion on how to FIX something. I made my own bushings out of a socket & washer (because I could) but I don't see it being that much money to purchase one (remember, we do have a 'connection' here)

My buddy had a 2002 Tacoma 2wd and the shifter was so bad he hardly could get it into some of the gears, we took it apart when we got home from work one day and the bottom bushing was completely gone, An idea popped into my head and I went into my shed to look for a plumbing part, You know the plastic washers they use for the under sink compression fittings, well they have different thickness washers and one of them fit into the Toyota shifter perfect, tightened the shifter right up and he was able to get into all the gears. A few days later he ordered a heavy duty replacement from a Martin Crawler I think made of delrin.

Yours may not be falling out but it's nice to be able to get into all the gears, don't want to be in the middle of no where and find you can't shift.

Sure is!

The only reason I'm saying that is a little bit of shifter play is absolutely normal. If it gets to a point where the shifter starts popping out of position then you can get replacement bushings. Otherwise if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Well, it does have a good amount of play, enough that I've mis-shifted into fourth instead of 2nd. I talked to Rob at Genuine Nissan Parts and he located a single bushing that should take care of the sloppiness. (Thanks Rob!). It's only minimal cost and looks pretty straightforward to install.

Ok I didn't know how severe it was. That definitely sounds like an issue if you have that much play. At least the part is cheap.

If you would have read what he posted instead of babbling off nonsense, as usual, you would! :doh: You ever put a truck in to 2nd instead of 4th on the highway? That kind of problem can be dangerous and definitely should not be left alone.

but the lever has some lateral movement even when in gear and once or twice, I'd put it into 4th instead of 2nd.
  • Like 1

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thanks for all of your input regardless of how it may have come across. I'll post back here after I've received and installed the new bushing to let y'all know how it turned out. Again, much appreciated for your responses.

- Al

So Rob sent me part #32861 - this white nylon (delrin?) bushing snaps on the small ball end of shifter that is inserted into the transmission. Mine was fairly loose, which definitely contributed to the "slop". There's another bushing that I *think* would help - it's a flexible black rubber-like bushing that has a concave surface on one side to match the top of the big pivot ball on the shifter and flat on the other to match the washers under the c-clip. For now, this has addressed 90% of my issues so I'm going to leave it as is.

- Al

Yeah if the white plastic nylon delrin starts breaking up from age that would definitely make the shifter fall out of position. :lol:

I don't think the other pieces matter as much unless they are torn up and squished beyond recognition.

Again, a little bit of play is normal and as long as the shifter doesn't wiggle around as you are driving and you can safely change the gears, then it works fine.