Help me! Lift issue

kefferjoe

Still looks like a lot of angle to me.

Here's a shot of ours on new OME HD front springs with just over 2K on them since the install.

They raised the front about 2.5".

Getting a little weeping on the lower boot after this last trip but they are the originals and we have new ones to install.

08angle.jpg

Were all of the pics in this thread taken at ride height or full droop?

The angles in 557562_3566713420723_1912955342_n.jpg look extreme, especially if at ride height. It also looks like a 3-4" lift which I would guess means you need an SFD.

Were all of the pics in this thread taken at ride height or full droop?

The angles in 557562_3566713420723_1912955342_n.jpg look extreme, especially if at ride height. It also looks like a 3-4" lift which I would guess means you need an SFD.

Mine was taken at ride height (sitting on ground with full weight).

This is my first go around with a non-solid front axle so I don't have a lot of experience with these.

I don't run the spacer so that explains a little of the extra angle shown but when you put all 3 pic's together something is defiantly different and it does almost look like the half-shaft came apart and went back together incorrectly.

Even when mine was in the air, hanging by the strut is did not have that much angle.

3shafts.jpg

Yeah something definitely looks wrong but idk what it is mine was taken at full weight on suspension I have the a/c 2" lift and snake racing approximately 1" spacers and that's it I have taken this apart 3 times and it has gotten drivable but I can still feel the jumping around corners

I did however find a copper washer in between the cv axle and the inside of the hub where the dust cover and cv axle meet this might be causing some issues its about 1/4 of an inch thick I took it out but I have yet to put everything back together and take it out for a spin

Edited by kefferjoe

Could another issue be that maybe my control arm is bent in some freaky fashion

I'm about to get dizzy scrolling my screen up and down looking at the pics (Nice job BTW Tad). It appears from the three photos that your LCA is fine.

• Like 1

If you look at the bottom of the struts, Tad's is about level with the middle of the inner CV joint & mine is roughly the same but kefferjoe's is nearly level with the bottom of his inner CV joint. The spacer could be causing this but I'm still wondering if the struts are not standard R50 length. You said you pulled them of another R50 right? I'm wondering if maybe the struts are from some other vehicle & are longer? But then how come they were fine on the other R50? Just a thought.

If you look at the bottom of the struts, Tad's is about level with the middle of the inner CV joint & mine is roughly the same but kefferjoe's is nearly level with the bottom of his inner CV joint.

... and to add to that comment, I don't see the sway bar end link in kefferjoe's pic. eusa_think.gif

...I did however find a copper washer in between the cv axle and the inside of the hub where the dust cover and cv axle meet this might be causing some issues its about 1/4 of an inch thick I took it out...

I think that is your thrust washer and you need to put it back.

frontaxle.jpg

If you look at the bottom of the struts, Tad's is about level with the middle of the inner CV joint & mine is roughly the same but kefferjoe's is nearly level with the bottom of his inner CV joint. The spacer could be causing this but I'm still wondering if the struts are not standard R50 length. You said you pulled them of another R50 right? I'm wondering if maybe the struts are from some other vehicle & are longer? But then how come they were fine on the other R50? Just a thought.

I think you are onto something there.

He does have strut spacers but that distance looks to be more than 1" or so.

Our R50 is in Flagstaff right now so I can't really measure anything.

I have the a/c 2" lift and snake racing approximately 1" spacers and that's it I have taken this apart 3 times and it has gotten drivable but I can still feel the jumping around corners

So i am wondering if you should have just installed the 2" lift first...drove it for a while to give it time to settle, then installed the 1" spacer :scratchhead:

I personally never liked the idea of the spacer . Just causes more stress on the CV's

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

I know what's up with your strut install. When you installed the strut you let the hub dangle too low & the drive shaft popped out of the inner cv. I just did exactly the same thing installing 1" spacer, my drive shaft popped out & it looked exactly like yours in the photos. You have to remove the strut again, pop the drive shaft back in & reinstall the strut without letting the hub drop down so far, then you'll be fine. It's a 2 man job, you probably won't be able to do it on your own, I couldn't.

Edited by theexbrit