Starter questions (Grinding)

Balln

Hey guys i have read and searched but couldnt find anything that really helped me out. I have a 94 pathy v6 4x4 auto tranny 150,000. My question and problem is every now and then when i go to start my pathy the starter sounds like it doesnt engage all the way. Its a real load noise (grinding) and embarassing. When it happens i just stop and then retry it again and it usually starts up it has done it a second time in a row but then starts up on the 3rd crank. Im wondering is my starter going bad? Maybe alot of crud inside of it? Im guessing its the factory starter with 150, miles. Is the soleniod going out or getting bad? Or my worse fear is, Is my fly wheel fudged up? Everytime it does it is the starter engageing in a spot where there is no teeth on my fly wheel? Im thinking too if there isnt any teeth for it to grab and is making that noise then how does it usually crank up after it happens. It would have to grab the bad teeth good enuff to turn it to get ahold of good teeth but then it would have started? Idk My brain hurts from thinking about it.

Please help me out on this.

Thanks Guys Ryan