Quick Question:

WyKi

Do I have to drop the trans. to remove the engine oil pan? or will it come out without dropping it?

Uh, he said engine oil pan guys. No, you don't have to remove the trans to remove the engine oil pan. You will need to remove the front diff to get it out. Not a hard job, but you will need a extra pair of hands. Others might recommend removing the whole engine, but that's overkill in my book.

Yea I imagined that I have to drop the front diff. And I also think removing the whole engine IS overkill thanks for the reply guys.

Its all good harbinger :) bottoms up!

Got the Front diff. and oil pan out. Now cleaning up to put the rod and main bearings. Crankshaft looks good no scratches.

Oh boy. How do you plan on replacing the upper main bearing shells? The crank has to come out for that and that means pulling the engine so you can unbolt the flywheel/flex plate and remove the oil pump.

Oh boy. How do you plan on replacing the upper main bearing shells? The crank has to come out for that and that means pulling the engine so you can unbolt the flywheel/flex plate and remove the oil pump.

I've seen it done before, not that I would. You put the right size cotter pin in the oil hole on the crank journal and turn the crank in the correct direction and it will roll the bearing out. Cotter pins are soft enough to not mar the crank. I'm sure it will put a nick in the new bearing but I guess its better than a worn out bearing. My thinking is that if the bearings are worn out the crank needs to be measured to make sure it's not worn out too but if you just need to limp it along for a little while longer.

James

• 1 month later...

well i got the crankshaft back from the machine shop. What torque do I give to both the rod and main bearings? Thanks guys!

thanks Kingman. These are done in two stages? Like first 10-15 and then to 33-40 or straight to 33-40? Thanks again.

Not stages of torque but there's a sequence to tightening the main girdle bolts. Kinda hard to explain so I'll just make a copy of the page...

Top diagram.

hrnngsfsngfb.jpg

The rod caps you just tighten until it's sucked tight against the rod then torque, spin the crank to the next one and repeat.