Differential Protection

Splish

A few years back I purchased the differential skid plate from 4x4parts.com. It did it's job for a few years, but just wasn't built to last. I have destroyed it. It is completely bent out of shape. I sheared the hooks off the rear of the plate on numerous occasions do to the fact they they bolt on, and the nuts are on the bottom side of the plate. On the front, they supply a piece of not-so-nicely trimmed HSS to squeeze the plate to the differential housing, and that too bent out of whack and left the plate bouncing around and rattling.

So I have designed and fabbed my own plate, and it's completely bomb proof!

I have partial blue prints, and the rest was designed on the fly. It's not hard to follow the photos though....

It turns out I can not post that many photos here. So I posted the beginning and the end. If you wish to see all the photos, go to this photobucket:

http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/t385/Splish75/Differential%20Skid%20Plate/

DWG003.jpg

DWG002.jpg

DWG001.jpg

I applied some grease over the threaded rods, and slid a tube down over that to keep the rods from rusting. I also glued some neoprean rubber pads to all the areas that will be touching the differntial housing.

P6092800.jpg

P6092801.jpg

And finally, here is the finished product, all bolted into place.

P6092804.jpg

P6092806.jpg

Edited by Splish