Running boards or Rock Sliders

wheel366

I'm in the market for new running boards. I'm curious so find out what you guys use. I saw the link in the 96-up forum for rock sliders but I figured I should post it in the correct spot.

Any ideas you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Really depends on what you're gonna be doin. I'm bent the crap outta my factory nerf bars off roadin, and well running boards are just a step, nothing more. Rock sliders are just that. They take the weight of the vehicle and slide over rocks rather than crunching your body or frame. With that in mind, selection of the proper application will help you decide which way to go.

Well, I want to do some light off roading soon. Once I get the frame welded, of course. I was looking at price difference and new running boards are $225 and the rock sliders are 300. I thought that it made sense just to spend the extra $75 and play it safe.

Rich

What you say makes sense OptiOn, but then not everyone has fabrication skills and/or access to a convenient metal supply, a large pipe bender, a welder, a powercoater, a place to do the work, etc... Not to mention those who would make more $ in their own occupation VS the time it would take them to design and fabricate the item themselves. I use this principle often to optimize long term 'bang for buck'. Good for you if you can knock out a pair though ;)

Bernard

I was originally going to get nerf bars, but I think I'm going to get rock sliders instead. Nerf bars are good for looks, but rock sliders are actually functional and I'm starting to like the way they look over nerf bars and running boards, anyway.

Sliders are just burlier. And any time you add some thing to your rig that is burley, it has a tendancy to make your truck too burly. Not to mention functional as well. Sliders are commin up for me as well, bent the crap outta the factory nerfs, didn't even hit em too hard, but wasted em. Let us know which way you roll.

M.M.

There's a number of brands out there for our rigs. Smittybuilt makes some, but from what it sounds like, the install in a bit tricky. You basically have 2 options, weld on or bolt on. I'm comfortable enough in my welding skills to weld mine on when I get em, but a straight bolt on, if properly designed, can be just as sturdy.