Swapping Gears

I have two differentials and one has 4.6 gears and the other a LSD with 4.3 gears. I am pretty good mechanicaly but have never done my own gears. I was thinking of just swaping the 4.6 ring on the LSD and then put that back into the carrier with the 4.6 pinion. Would that hurt anything? My book doesnt say anything about diffs :deadhorse: If that is ok what else do I need to do??? I am trying to get this done before friday because I have a 4wheeling trip planned. Thanks in advance.

That should be fine as long as you are putting the same ratio back in, both front and rear diff have to have the same gear ratio.

You will need to check and possibly reset the backlash (pinion and ring gear meshing) this is a big one it need to be right.

Also remember LSD rated diff oil.

It should work, but I'm not a expert on hb233 rear axles. But I think there is a diffrence in the axle housing it self for open and lsd rears, although I will say I might be thinking of something completly diffrent. I know theres a diffrence becuase you need to modfy a LSD rear to fit a locker in it.

The back lash and everything should be in the TSM on this site. Its free but you need to down load it.

It's usually easiest to just swap the entire third member, gears and all. However, if you want to keep your LSD, but just change the ratio from 4.3 to 4.6, you only need to swap the pinion and ring gears. You can use the same housings and even the diff carrier. So, if you have a 4.3LSD and a 4.6open, you can just unbolt the 4.6 ring gear from the open diff and bolt it to the LSD, and swap out the pinions. For the front, it's simplest to just swap out the whole diff assembly to avoid setting the backlash.

Unfortunately, since you're messing with the gears themselves on the rear diff, you WILL need to reset the preload and backlash properly.

Yes i know the front is easy. And i know what i need to do in the back. But i don't know how to set the backlash. Also can I leave the pinion in the open diff and just put the ring on the LSD and put that in the open diff?

...can I leave the pinion in the open diff and just put the ring on the LSD and put that in the open diff?

I would not advise doing that, though it may be possible to do so. Your best option would be to find a local shop that specializes in rebuilding rear ends and have them do the swap for you. That way you can be sure that the backlash is set properly.

• Like 1

Gears wear together. Keep the same ring and pinion gears paired together.

There is way more to it than backlash. You need the proper carrier preload, pinion bearing preload, and tooth pattern. Most of these affect all of the others.

I've done it before and it's a pain. I do almost everything myself, but even this, I would just pay someone else to do it next time.