Bent Bracket

theexbrit

I was under the rear of my 96 the other day & noticed that some doofus had done this to both link brackets........ photo-1.jpg

Anyone suggest a good way of bending these back without weakening the metal? I haven't noticed any pulling issues, etc, but this can't be good.

I've seen smaller brackets get bent from people using them as a jack point. Normally its only one side though because they learn their lesson.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

@tungsten, I figured I'd have to do something like that. My buddy seems to think that it doesn't matter them being bent, but I'm sure the bolts, etc, are under stress & won't last too long.

@devonianwalk, I'm not sure. I know the PO had some rear axle work done, probably at the local butcher shop judging by the way they just hacked everything up! :headwall::doh::thumbsdown: It looks like they used a grinder to cut the bolts from these brackets & scored the brackets to heck. Probably weakened them so maybe new brackets would be the best thing.

@trogdor636, I was thinking that but both sides are bent the same, so god only knows what they did to get them like that. :angry:

That's a possibility, but both brackets are bent outwards like this one, surely if he hit the kerb they'd both be bent the same way not opposite ways, right?

Jumped it?

Ha ha ha! That's a good suggestion but I can't see the little old Indian guy that owned it before me off roading & jumping it!! I think he had some axle work done as there's grinder cut marks all over the bracket.

Ha ha ha! That's a good suggestion but I can't see the little old Indian guy that owned it before me off roading & jumping it!! I think he had some axle work done as there's grinder cut marks all over the bracket.

It doesn't take off roading and youth. I've seen enough bad driving to know a little old man can rail a curb or not see a speed bump and take flight.

because they learn their lesson.....

LOL NOPE

Drifted it into a curb?

Snow is usually a huge factor in people drifting into curbs. I've heard plenty of stories like that. A specific story being that a friend of mine with some 2004 Tahoe was having some innocent winter fun drifting around a snowy parking lot around ~20mph. His whole driver's side slammed into a curb. Bent the frame, mangled some brake lines, bent a rim, a whole bunch of other stuff I was too busying wincing to listen to.

It doesn't take much to fskc your @!*% up.