Stock Gear Ratio Info

While I'm waiting on the titan wheels to come back from the machine shop, I decided to do the rear axle swap for rear discs. My issue is they are from the local pull and pay. Is there a way to simply and easily find out the gear ratios on them without busting them both open and counting? The XE I got out of a drive way for free had 31's on it, but that still doesn't clarify if the gear ratio is the 4.3 or 4.6 (the preferable "free" gear ratio for the new big rims and tires) Also, this will help in matching up ratios front and rear with the old front diff and the "new" rear.

Thanks in advance.

PS I'm getting better at searching for things, but still learning!

You should be able to swap the diff from your drum axle to the disc axle to avoid mixing up gearing. As far as the truck you have now, is it a manual or automatic? Most manuals came with 4.3's and automatics came with 4.6's. Easiest way to tell thoough is look at the data plate on the passenger of the engine compartment near the firewall. Look for "HG43" or "HG46". The numbers make it pretty idiot proof and that will be your gearing!

easy way to get an approximation of the ratio would be to turn the wheel one complete revolution and see how many times the, can't remember what it is called the yoke the drive shaft bolts to on the axle, put a chalk mark on the "yoke" ?? and see how many times it turns for one revolution of the tire. If it turns more than 4.5 turns it's probably not the 4.3 ratio and may be the 4.62 ratio.

Looks like I've got the 4.3's on it now. Its a manual with power nothing, just the way i like it! I'll have to check the sticker of the other two next time I head down to the pull n pay.

Its my understanding that the brake master cylinder is preferred outta the 4 wheel disc pathfinder, but not necessary, correct?

If i continue with the 4.3 rear end, i can just swap the backing plate and other components with the same (current) axle correct? Am I missing anything important, that, part wise I should grab while I'm there getting things?

Is it worth it to up grade both diff's to the larger housings (it'l;l set me back a whopping 160 for both front and rear assembly's complete) and the 4.6's if im running tires larger then 33's? could end up running 36's at the end of the tires tread life.