'93 XE-V6 VG30E Automatic Intermittent No Start

VelvetTLeopard

Ok I bought this truck with a known transmission problem and a known starting problem, so I am not claiming lemon.

With a fresh battery the truck will display all lights and sounds as normal, but when turning the key to start the truck it sometimes clicks, sometimes starts, and sometimes doesn't do anything.

When it does start it runs fine.

It seems to have no recognizable pattern.

I have no book for this truck and all the info I have found was for manual transmissions. I believe the starter itself is fine, although it won't last long with this electrical problem.

Where do I start looking? What relays, switches, or fuses should I find and check?

Pleas ehelp me save my Pathy's starter.

This is a pretty common problem around here. I think (most of the time) the issue was contributed to a loose fusible link going to the starter. It's a large wire that has multiple smaller copper threads in it, and sometimes, not all of the sub-wires are connected.

It's kind of like a hit or miss issue. Your truck might start if it is on a non-compression stroke, it might try, or it just might not.

There has been a lot of discussion on here about the starter and the no start just clicking problem. There is even a technical service bulletin on the Rockauto.com site under the Beck Arnley starter, see below:

http://info.rockauto.com/BeckArnley/BA-TBS0113.pdf

I think the bottom line is the starter is probably on it's way out. My 94 was doing the same thing, I did the starter relay mod and that extended the time before I finally had to replace the starter by about a year but I eventually had to replace it.

Now I am having issues with the reman starter, so from what I've read on here and from my past experience on my 87 hardbody starter I recommend getting a Beck Arnley starter or an OEM one if it's in your budget.

Not saying it couln't be a bad ground, dirty battery terminals, bad starter relay but if all that checks out think about replacing the starter and be done with it.

Man I hope I don't have to replace the starter. I was planning on doing a rebuild on the tranny, so I guess it could changed out then, but still. Do you guys think it would be too prudent to just go ahead and replace all the relays and what not anyways?