upper control arm bushing questions

banx

gentlemen, first off I'd like to say this site is great... or was before the move.

so i tried "searching" and all threads can't be read..... so I will just post the questions I have.

So 91 pathy, front passenger upper control arm bushing is in rough shape. I just bought this truck off a guy who replaced all the ball joints etc but forgot to change that bushing and was "too lazy" to go back.

i'm under the impression that I will have to remove the entire upper control arm to replace this $3 bushing... Is this true??? as all my research has led me to believe.

I can't just put a jack to the arm and untighten the bolt remove the reataining washer and put a new one in? then put said washer and nut back on.... ???

I've only done brakes and some exhaust work. never any suspension work. I used to race rc's so I'm mechanically capable and have the tools.. I'm just wondering if there is an easier way. than taking off the brakes prying apart the ball joints etc. seems like such a monumental process for a relatively cheap bushing.

also, I read on here I beleieve, that you can clean the existing bushing and use "polyeurothane" silicone and rebuild the bushing. let it set and put the washer and nut back on.

The rear side of the bushing appears fine. just where the washer and nut would be pushing againt the bushing 'head' on the front of the arm is basically missing.... and the reatining washer is rubbing against the control arm. not really safe to drive.

my apologies but the search issue has me lacking the 'resources' i need.

cheers guys. I was hoping to do this today.

think it might just be wiser to save the headache and effort and just buy a new upper control arm with bushings installed....

correct?

The process is actually pretty simple.

Jack up the front and put it on stands, unbolt the shock from the body, compress the shock and pull it to the side of the UCA, jack under the lower control arm to relieve pressure on the UCA, unbolt the upper ball joint from the UCA and unbolt the UCA spindle from the body. It really doesn't take very long, but I'm not sure how tough it is to replace the stock bushings. All my trucks have aftermarket arms.

^ This.

The stock bushings can be difficult to remove, the most common is to burn them out with a torch but people have cut, drilled and pressed. Likewise, I went with aftermarley UCAs. When you have the bushings removed, make sure that the spindle is straight, I made that mistake once...

i tried "searching" and all threads can't be read..... so I will just post the questions I have.

Yes, thank you for the heads up, the Admin are working on it so please be patient. The move was necessary and has gone quite smoothly on the whole.

B