92 Pathfinder Starter Problems

donputz

The starter in my Pathfinder suddenly quit. No clicking or slow cranking, nothing. At this point I've put in a new starter, new battery, new Positive cable and still nothing. Testing the solenoid wire shows power when the key is turned to crank so I'm assuming the relays are all functioning correctly. So my question becomes, is it possible to install a starter button running from the battery to the button and from there to the solenoid?

Thanks for any help! :rolleyes:

Check your negative battery cable, the problem might be there. I am not a expert but i had sa similar issue on mine. BGut I am sure the experts will chime in.

Edited by 918pathy

If you have 12vdc on the solenoid wire (black/yellow?) then there is no need to bypass the ignition or relays. If you've run a new power wire from the battery to the starter. You should do what was suggested above and look at the negative battery cable, look at the strap that grounds the engine to the body as well. It could just be loose, or could be heavily corroded and need replacing.

So there is power going to the starter then? I know on mine, I missed a plug that rests right under or beside the battery. Somehow got unplugged when switching the starters in and out. Turned the key and nothing. Plugged it in and it fired right up.

If not that, i would say possibly a bad selonoid.

This is most likely a bad ignition switch. There is no relay in the starter circuit, the ignition switch carries the full load required by the starter solenoid. If the contacts are fried it may carry enough voltage to appear 'good' with a volt meter when the wire is unplugged from the starter but it may not carry enough amperage to actuate the solenoid. Check the negative battery cable as well, and be sure you have a beefy ground cable between the engine and chassis.

Yes, you can add a starter button the way you described if you don't want to buy a new ignition switch... but if you're going to do that you should tap power from the harness side of the fusible link otherwise there will be no fuse in your new circuit and you risk an electrical fire if something goes wrong. The fusible link is the only fuse protecting the starter circuit, standard fuses cannot carry enough amperage.

This is most likely a bad ignition switch. There is no relay in the starter circuit, the ignition switch carries the full load required by the starter solenoid. If the contacts are fried it may carry enough voltage to appear 'good' with a volt meter when the wire is unplugged from the starter but it may not carry enough amperage to actuate the solenoid. Check the negative battery cable as well, and be sure you have a beefy ground cable between the engine and chassis.

Yes, you can add a starter button the way you described if you don't want to buy a new ignition switch... but if you're going to do that you should tap power from the harness side of the fusible link otherwise there will be no fuse in your new circuit and you risk an electrical fire if something goes wrong. The fusible link is the only fuse protecting the starter circuit, standard fuses cannot carry enough amperage.

I thought it was odd that you were saying there is no relay so I looked at the FSM again, apparently the Canadian models don't have a relay but the US models do......at least for the 95 year. I wonder why they did that?

Thank All for the replies. Turns out the new starter was bad. It tested good twice and then failed the next four times. Got a replacement starter, new positive and negative battery cables and a new battery. Starts like it's supposed to now. I guess the moral of the story is "If at all possible, test the new parts before you install them".