Post timing belt change woes, advice needed. Fixed!

"Wiggle" it really good before carefully removing it from the junker? I'd carefully inspect the rubber on the older one before purchasing it.

Alright, checking for slop and any deterioration in the rubber holding it together, how much play is "too" much, my current balacner has none, so im assuming no more than that? lol

Edited by ferrariowner123

A puller around the outside will trash the balancer almost for sure.

If you are willing to replace the balancer, pull out all the stops on this project and cut it off with an angle grinder, or use the puller on the outside part, let it come off, and then use the puller on the inner part. This will probably be cheaper than paying a shop their labour rate for a task like this.

So I just ordered a new balancer off rockauto, couldn't find anything I could trust at the junkyard, they all had a good hold, free of slop, but the rubber was cracking on all of them. Wasn't going to risk a balancer through the hood, lol

But going back to getting the balancer off, I'm gonna rent that huge puller from Oriellies see if that does it with a combination of a few other things, anything I should avoid? Obviously I don't wanna pry on the dust cover, or pry at all unless I have to. I'm going to remove the radiator to give myself as much as possible.

Anything else worth mentioning? It seems pretty straight forward, just time consuming.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

So its FINALLY FIXED and oh baby did my miss my POWER!!!!

and it turns out i was right, was off just one tooth from the cranks to the cam.

But she runs good, nice an strong, had a small problem with coolant leaking, but managed to get that fixed, hopefully that stays away.

had to get pretty creative to get the balancer off, but it came off incredibly easy and everything is running great!!!

Im so happy, but i think im gonna take it down to the local shop and just give them diagnostic and give me a new list of parts to fix.

Thanks again for all of the generous help, so now i can stop annoying the pants off everyone here.

-Kyle

• Like 1

AWESOME! I'm so glad you fixed it. Now I can go back outside with out my neighbors wondering why I don't have any pants on. You have accomplished a task that so many people are afraid to tackle on their own.