Ladder Carrier Fabrication

Guest RWRP

I need to carry a 28ft extension ladder for my new job and I need to fabricate, or purchase a carrier extension.

I was thinking of using square tubing.

Bolting it to the two holes for running boards, I would have bended it so it goes forward before extending it upwards. This is necessary to clear the front doors.

The two vertical poles would be tied together with thinner steel angle pieces boxed and bolted.

I'm concerned that the downward force of the weight of the ladder will push down and rotate forward since it's only bolted on a perpendicular axis, so I'll use another piece of square tubing to tie to the existing roof rack.

Has anyone else tried this? Do you think it will work? What size bolts do I need to tie into the running board holes?

Sounds like a workable design IF the ladder is 28 feet extended, not colapsed.... I would recommend 2 braces from the existing roof rack instead of one; it would be MUCH stronger. Also, consider 2 vertical somethings on the cross member to keep the ladder from shifting from side to side, and a rubber bed inbetween to keep things from rattling. Make sure you post pics of it !!

Bernard