My M30 MPFI SWAP

MY1PATH

Also I've built a custom xdf file specifically for the pathy ecu and tune since it uses some different addressing than both the z31 and m30 hex addresses (it's actually a combination of both) but I can't for the life of me identify the hex address for the pathy secondary knock timing map. I tried all the common addresses used in the other nissan vg30e ecus I've found and nothing comes up. It's making me think the stock pathy ecu doesn't have the secondary timing maps that the m30 and z32 most definitely do have. From the address files I have the z31 ecu also doesn't have secondary timing maps for knock. M30 definitely does, that'd another reason I want to get a maxima bin file so I can confirm whether the maxima ecu has secondary knock maps like the m30 ecu. This way I can figure out which nissan ecu will be the best but also easiest and cheapest to acquire for us pathy guys.

Edited by Nefarious

Good to hear it's running better. How's the mileage? (Still on premium?)

I never did run it on premium in the first place. No knocking 10:1 with the stock M30 tune.

Now pushing it hard here in the desert with various tuning changes and normal operating temperatures of 210F is another story...

Nefarious you can run Nistune on a stock pathfinder ECU. You use a type 1 board that adds a USB port to the ecu. Honestly of all the stock tunes I have looked at I like the Pathfinder tune and think it is just fine for any mildly modified VG30 and vg33. There is a lean spot at about 50% throttle and 1,500-2,000 rpm which is right on the edge of where it comes out of O2 sensor feedback but its not really a threat. (lean as how it responded to my 10:1 probably just fine on 9:1-9.5:1) My wife will be running this 10:1 VG33 on the stock pathy ECU and Stock MAF and I will have no issues with it.

The M30, N/A Z31, Maxima, Pathfinder (3.0 & 3.3) and N/A Xterra all run the same ~180cc flow rate as rated by 43.5 PSI and 80% duty cycle.

This does not mean all the injectors are the same, They flow the same but physical and electrical characteristics vary such as plumbing, electrical connectors, pintle/plate design impedance, turns ratio and latency.

I am running the R50/ N/A Xterra Injectors as they are of the ethanol generation (10% in all pump gas) and have ethanol insulated or isolated (not sure which) windings to ensure their longevity in today's fuels. Spray pattern, flow rate and rail fitment is the same as WD21 injectors but the connector needs to be changed out (also more weather resistant connector).

All nistune .bin files are available online at their website. You only need to pay to fully run the software. You will be looking for D21 VG30E files when you want to reference the pathfinder tunes.

Lastly, the question everybody asks... MPG... Its really hard to say. There are a lot of different factors overall but the only certainty is that going from my worn out 3.0 to a fresh new 10:1 3.3 improved things. (when I'm not flooring it)

After that I moved to SoCal and variables continue to change: CA gas, seasonal CA Gas, many variations in altitude (I can feel the difference driving at sea level vs driving arround home @ 2,500 ft or up the hill to 4,000 ft) My Nokian Mud tires don't like the heat they were awesome on the trails up north but their softness and SUPER FLEXY SIDE WALL does not do them any favors down here; nearing baldness they are about 29.5" now(yeah they had DEEP tread and were not a true 31 to begin with). Most recently I've seen mixed driving this weekend of about 17 mpg and last winter when I went to tahoe (6,000 ft) I got 18 mpg on the way up and from there I went to rio vista (-20 FT) and and squeezed 23 on the way down.

My mpg's vary greatly based on day/night driving (110F vs 60F) and if I go into town or not. but most the time my numbers float between 15-18. Hopefully some improvement will come when I get new tires that are More suitable to my driving conditions. (BFG ATs...)

Thanks for all the info man. I'll check nistunes website for the other bin files. I am actually purposely NOT using nistune as I really want to figure out a budget method of having full tuning control of a pathfinder. Nistune is really expensive after shipping to Canada and I already run Nismotronic in my 240sx which is hands down superior to Nistune anyway so if I wanted to spend a large sum of cash on tuning then I would just wait for their v6 version of Nemu hardware if I was going that route.

I really dont want to spend all that money all over again for my pathfinder. This is more so a challenge and learning experience for me to see how cheaply and easily I can come up with full tuning solution for a pathfinder by programming the chips and socketing the boards myself as well as introducing consult to the pathfinder to make it a real time viable option capable of datalogging and map tracing but with free software and very low cost hardware. Its definitely possible from what I have found so far.

I'm using tunerpro and calumsult right now for manipulating and monitoring tunes but I'm about to try some other pieces of free software as well that I've seen. Still deciding which consult to USB cable to get.. theres quite a few options there.

P.s. the mpfi swap / 10:1 vg33 swap is rad, been following this one for a while now haha. Keep up the good work man.

I'll be starting with developing the n/a tune using virtual dyno for the main tuning and then take it to the dyno for a polish just to finish it up. Once I'm happy with my n/a setup and it's maxed out without doing engine work then I plan to run a remote mount turbo under my truck. It's body lifted and there is a massive amount of space under there the way I built my exhaust. Going for around a 15 psi turbo setup most likely with a t3/t4 hybrid turbo. Plan to run an in innovate mtx-l wideband to log runs and keep an eye on things.