Lift Conciderations

Pezzy

A question for the R50 owners with lifts...

One thing that shys me away from getting a lift (besides being cash strapped :mellow: ) is the idea of added wear & tear on the truck... Because I am in an Xterra Club I know that there are a lot of things to take into consideration when getting a lift - as it puts added stress on certain parts of the truck...

But I have no idea what it might do to my truck. If I were to get the 2" lift (like the one from AC, or similar) what additional maintence, or wear & tear should I expect on my truck? Besides paying for the lift - should I expect other expenses...??

Thanks in advanced. B)

Extra wear on the CV joints, this is why most people w/lifts get manual hubs. The taller springs put the CV's at an extreme angle and make them much more prone to tearing/grenading. The struts also top out more frequently, but I haven't heard anyone complain about premature strut failure because of this. ;)

well, I wouldnt do it - if I wasnt going to offroad it... I'm higher than your average car - so I'm happy on-road!

Well - I know my truck's year is prone to strut problems anyway... so no loss there I suppose... :shrug:

The only issues I've had that I can even remotely attribute to my lift are CV boots wearing out too soon. But if you do what I did and buy pair of lifetime CV axles, then thats the last set of axles you'll ever buy. However, you might have to replace them a few times, but no biggy.

Also, I do have the strut topping out "problem," however, it is more of a minor annoyance than a problem, and a good way to get your passengers to STFU. P... hehehe.

The only other thing I can think of is my sway bar bushings are shot, but I have no reason to directly attribute that to my lift. I think it is a combination of me beating on my truck off-road, salt damage from the harsh winters, and age. I can't blame it at all on my tires, because they were worn out even before I got the 32s...

I say, if you're serious about off-roading, and you are not satisfied with your trucks clearance (not the performance) then go for it. If you don't need any more clearance, but want better performance, I suggest getting a locking or limited slip differential, and/or upgrading your tires, if you have not already done so, to off-road type tires.

Hope this helps. :aok:

Thanks vengeful....

I think by the end next summer I'll be looking into new tires - something a bit more trail worthy - some AT's... I have plain ol stock tires now. I'm in no hurry for anything now (we've spent too much on the Xterra!) but I hope to be able to tag along with the X's in the future!

There's a couple guys with lifted R50s in the club, one who has had the lift for a long time, the other brand new - but there is only so much info you can get from 2 guys. ;)

• 2 weeks later...