Fuel tank swap

ejin4499

has anyone swaped the gas tank from a 96 -up pathfinder to a 90-95? I was thinking if I move the tank I could move the spare under the truck and be able to mount something else to that tire carrier ie gas can.

Tank is in the safest place where its at IMO...just weld a Jerry can holder to the stock carrier...spares under the vehicle will hang too low if wheeling and if ure stuck and need the tire...it'll be pretty difficult to get out from under the vehicle

I don't know if the gas tank where it's at now (way in the rear) is necessarily the safest place for it. I suppose you would have to get hit REALLY hard for it to take damage, but still.

But, if you were to make it smaller or move it, inventing a tire carrier system doesn't sound very fun. I'm sure your first idea would be to adapt the tire carrier system of the Hardbody. Well, I have a Hardbody and boy, is putting that tire up and down a complete pain in the neck.

Most people who wheel with HBs chain the tire inside the bed anyway.

If the truck was mostly for the freeway, then sure, but it would be more trouble than it's worth.

P.S. I thought most people (who wheel) chained their spares to the roof of Pathfinders anyway?

Edited by 1994SEV6

I've been hit in the rear of my '87 at almost 50MPH. It took that big of a hit to rupture the tank, which of course was JUST filled. The tank is pretty safe where it is.

My thought was to install a pan in the rear cargo area that dropped down into where the gas tank would be then be able to cover it with a panel and the cargo mat. That way its not dropping to low just the thinkness of the tire (wich is less the the thinkness of the tank) I don't have to lift it on top of my truck, I can mount what ever I want to the carrier or I can remove it altogether and I can still get to it if I get my truck stuck up to its axles in something. :D

Edited by ejin4499