Cam gears/ teeth

Firehawk

I went to Oriley's earlier to price/ get a t-belt to put on the truck. Well the guy at the counter said I either have round or square grooves and I need to figure out what my engine's cam gears look like (round or square). Is there a way to tell this without starting the project? I was happy to know the 2 belts they offer are 80'ish and the other 99 so the price is right. 93 4x4 V6 auto

Thanks gents!

~Jason

If thats for just the belt, you are getting robbed. The Oreillys site doesnt even list a belt for more than 45 bucks. If thats the belt and tensioner together, yea that price is right on. Your square tooth belt is cheaper, but you have to change it more often.

Yes, go have Alkorahil (aka Rob Lacy) ship you a Nissan belt for far less than that. (he's in Texas too)

WWW.FACTORYNISSANPARTS.COM

phone 1-866-742-0297

Tell him you are from NPORA.

I'm pretty sure the belt style change was mid 1993 so if you have an early year you have square and later=round. Rob can verify that but he can also run your VIN and probably tell you specific for your vehicle...

B

Maybe I should have been more clear~ That was not just the belt, that was the price for the belt and tensioner. And thanks for the reply's. I am going to spend the week reading up on tips and tricks and then maybe knock it out next weekend.

Thanks guys.

edit: I will give Rob a call this week and see if he can help. Thanks for the tip!!

Edited by Firehawk

I talked to a Nissan parts guy when I was going to change one on a 93, and he said all 93's are square tooth.

Also, if you have a Napa nearby, I would check them as well. My Napa timing belt kit was a rebranded Gates belt (which makes sense because Gates makes their drive and accessory belts as well) and I think I saved 10-20 bucks over Oreillys.

What's the rating differnce on the 2 types of belts?

If you are asking frequency at which you have to change the belts, then the square tooth (93 and older) are ~60k. 94 and newer (round tooth) need to be changed at a generous 105k miles.

Hmm. Well I would need to source the new gears. Looks like I will be pulling the crank gear anyway to change the seal as well as the cam wheels.