slow starter normal for 1994 auto pathfinder?

I just got this pathfinder, but I used to have one a long time ago, but I really don't remember how spunky the starter was way back then.

Question is: are starters for the pathfinders normally slow to turn over, or do I have a potential issue?

The vehicle starts fine, just slowly...

I figured other members would know because you've had yours longer and possibly had multiple pathfinders. :)

Thanks.

It should crank at a decent (normal?) speed. If it is cranking slow you either have a weak battery (might last a long time), poor electrical connections or a failing starter, probably in that order...

B

Most likely it's a poor electrical connection but what Precise1 suggested are all possibilities too. Sometimes that negative battery clamp gets really loose and you get funky problems like that. I would check that negative battery clamp first.

They spin over pretty fast. Check the connections and be sure to pay attention to where the negative cable from the battery meets the cable going from the fender to the engine block. I had a 3V drop right at that connection because of corrosion so my starter cranked pretty slow.

the placement of the starter sucks. It's right under the oil filter and sending unit. Crap drips into the starter and gums it up. This is one of the causes of failure. Would not be a bad idea to pull the starter, disassemble and clean it up, then bench test it with jumper cables to see how it runs without a load. It should try to jump out of your hand or off the bench.

I will check the ground connections first, then get into the starter if I have to.

Disassemble then clean it out? I've swapped out starters before, but never took one apart. I'll look into that.

Thanks.