Strut clearance for 31" tires

theexbrit

Hi all, just got some 31" tires fitted & thought I'd show a pic of the clearance between the tire & the strut with OEM wheels (about 5" positive backspace) if anyone wants a visual. Remember, a lift will not affect this distance at all, to go more than 31" you will need spacers or wheels with at least 4" negative backspace to clear the strut. Then you have to think about your fenders. :bounce: :bounce:

pathy31clearance.jpg

Edited by theexbrit

Hi all, just got some 31" tires fitted & thought I'd show a pic of the clearance between the tire & the strut with OEM wheels (about 5" positive backspace) if anyone wants a visual. Remember, a lift will not affect this distance at all, to go more than 31" you will need spacers or wheels with at least 4" negative backspace to clear the strut. Then you have to think about your fenders. :bounce: :bounce:

pathy31clearance.jpg

Well thanks. I still find this weird though. Mines got 245/75/16 w/ 6"BS, and i have nowhere near that even at the outside of that strut plate with wore out tires!

Anyway, my new duratracs will fit! :)

Funny thing I noticed on the goodyear site,the 245/75/16 duratrac measures 30.7" and the silent armour measures 30.6. I wonder if this is due to and including tread depth?

It seems that tires have some variance in the stated size. I looked at some 33"s & they actually only measured 31" from ground to top of the tread. The 31's I have on now actually measure 29" from ground to the top of the tread. I'm getting a 2" lift next week so I'll add a couple more photos with the lift.

Here's a pic, of the original tires (235/70/15), with fender flares.

IMG_0355.jpg

Here's a couple of pics, 31x10.5x15, no fender flares.

IMG_0445.jpg

pathyside31s.jpg

Nice! Loose the running boards and you will "visually" gain an extra inch or three. :togo:

I keep debating that, but here in California it's a lot of desert & rocks. I know I've hit them a few times so I'm a bit leery to dump them. But I guess a few knocks & bumps adds to the "desert explorer" look B):laugh: :laugh: :laugh::tongue:

I keep debating that, but here in California it's a lot of desert & rocks. I know I've hit them a few times so I'm a bit leery to dump them. But I guess a few knocks & bumps adds to the "desert explorer" look B):laugh: :laugh: :laugh::tongue:

My factory steps looked nice, but that's about it. They had also comlpetely rusted out by 2007 so I took them off. I installed sliders earlier this year for some protection as well as to get a bit of a step back.

You also might go with some rock sliders. Most sliders that I have seen tuck up higher than our factory running boards, and offer protection at the same time.

My factory steps looked nice, but that's about it. They had also comlpetely rusted out by 2007 so I took them off. I installed sliders earlier this year for some protection as well as to get a bit of a step back.

You also might go with some rock sliders. Most sliders that I have seen tuck up higher than our factory running boards, and offer protection at the same time.

Yeah, I think I'm going to look into some sliders. Thanks.

I thought SE's came with 265/70/15's stock.

Yeah, they are supposed to have the 265/70/15's, but the monkey that owned the truck before me put 3 235/70/15's & 1 245/70/15 on it, plus struts & shocks from a wrecking yard!

• 1 month later...

WOW, thats way more room than I have with 31s....I lifted my 96 3inches and was hoping to get 32s but didnt work, so I got 31s and still had to buy different wheels so they wouldnt hit the struts....

• Like 1

WOW, thats way more room than I have with 31s....I lifted my 96 3inches and was hoping to get 32s but didnt work, so I got 31s and still had to buy different wheels so they wouldnt hit the struts....

We can always move that lower part of the strut up a little, like this :

Shocksrelocation_left.jpg

Right Mr Chuck? Welcome aboard! :)

Edited by BrSurfer