Is it OK if I can always hear my engine fan?

1994SEV6

So I finally got a "muffler" on my truck.

A friend of mine welded some silly glass pack on the pipe coming from my cat.

Well, since it's not obnoxiously loud, I can hear a lot of other stuff with my truck. The engine fan is one of them. It took me a while to figure it out because I've never been in another vehicle where you can hear the fan from inside, but it's definitely the fan.

I can't hear it at idle, but if I rev it I can hear it, or even if I'm in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear. I can't hear it after that because of outside noises.

I can't imagine that something broken or malfunctioning would make it possible to hear my fan, but is this acceptable?

Somewhat off-topic, but my R50's engine fan is always running from the second I start the engine. Is it not supposed to? :scratchhead: The fan seems to move with some resistance, but it's not impossible to move and it doesn't spin freely. The fan is not excessively loud and I can only hear it if I'm standing outside the vehicle. There are some cracks in the fan blade, but I'll be replacing it soon.

If your fan does not spin at least one rotation from giving it a good spin, it's "no good". If it's hard to just turn in general, it's almost locked and is robbing you power and mpg's. I just replaced the clutch fan on my truck, because you couldn't move it AT ALL, it basically spun at engine rpm's. sounded pretty cool though! :aok:

If your fan does not spin at least one rotation from giving it a good spin, it's "no good".

From my experience this is not correct. Usually if it freewheels that much, it is worn or not functioning correctly. There should be no wobble or play, it should turn quite easily by hand without any grinding or catching and not freewheel more than 1/2 turn when spun cold. The real test is when you start the engine it should be engaged (lots of fan noise) and then disengage (less fan noise) as the fluid is pumped from one chamber to another over the course .5-2 minutes. Here, this will describe it best...

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Imperial/2007-imperial-fan-clutches.pdf

To the OP, do a visual/manual inspection of the fan clutch.

B

Yes, it's OK to hear the fan on start-up. No, you should not hear it on all the time unless it's really hot outside and you have the A/C on.

yeah these are clutch operated fans. Loud at start up like mentioned above, and typically "work" at idle speed or thereabouts, and then disengage at driving speeds thus letting the ram-air through the front grill do the cooling job. Then at idle the fan does the work to pull air through the radiator again...blah blah blah.

Electric operated fans cut on when needed, mostly when stuck in traffic or after the car is shut off after a lot of driving in summer heat. You'll hear the fan come on as you are walking away from the vehicle.

I just replaced a dead electric cooling fan unit in my stepsons 1996 Saturn.